Temporarily Allow All This Page

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Caleb Murdock

Temporarily Allow All This Page

Post by Caleb Murdock »

You absolutely MUST move the "Temporarily Allow All This Page" option to the TOP of the list. I am tired of scrolling down through 100, 200 or 300 entries in order to find it.

And while I'm at it, why do I have to click that option three, four, five or six times for everything to be enabled? That means I must scroll through the entries up to six times.

And why isn't this add-on able to distinguish between ad sites and non-ad sites?

Sometimes I feel that Noscript isn't doing anything for me, but just causing me a lot of work. I don't use Noscript in Chrome and I haven't picked up any viruses.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53.0
barbaz

Re: Temporarily Allow All This Page

Post by barbaz »

Caleb Murdock wrote:Sometimes I feel that Noscript isn't doing anything for me, but just causing me a lot of work. I don't use Noscript in Chrome and I haven't picked up any viruses.
You might consider uninstalling NoScript then. Would save you a lot of pointless work, wouldn't it?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Caleb Murdock

Post by Caleb Murdock »

barbaz wrote:You might consider uninstalling NoScript then. Would save you a lot of pointless work, wouldn't it?
Just to be safe, I would rather keep it on my computer, but the "Temporarily Allow All This Page" option MUST be moved to the top of the drop-down list.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Caleb Murdock wrote:Just to be safe, I would rather keep it on my computer,
FWIW, if I had to regularly visit sites with 100, 200 or 300 entries in the NoScript menu, I'd just Allow Scripts Globally and leave blocking unwanted scripts to an adblock type addon. NoScript is more than just a script blocker - it also protects against XSS, cross-site request forgery (ABE), cross-site resource abuse, clickjacking, etc. Even with Scripts Globally Allowed you still have these "extra" protections, and can block individual sites' scripts by Marking a site Untrusted.

If you want to keep scripts blocked by default, you could set NoScript Options > Advanced > Trusted, "Cascade top document's permissions to 3rd party scripts". Then you'd just do one click on the top-level domain's entry, which is right next to the NoScript icon, and you've recursively* Temporarily allowed every site there you haven't Marked as Untrusted.

* (For what I mean by "recursive", see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8309)
-
Caleb Murdock

Post by Caleb Murdock »

Listen, I'm not a computer technician. I don't even understand exactly what it is that NoScript does. All I know is that I don't want to get any viruses. I should tell you that I DID get malware on my computer three or four years ago which NoScript didn't intercept -- it was similar to the current encryption virus, but instead of encrypting my data it pretended to be an anti-virus program itself, and it wanted me to pay for it. (Instead, I paid $130 to an anti-virus company to remove it.)

I said that I regularly visit sites with 100, 200 or 300 entries, but I see that I was mis-estimating the number. 100 is perhaps the maximum. The Washington Post site has more than 50 entries on the list. It's my understanding that each entry is a separate site which can affect my computer. Each site is represented by two entries on the NoScript list (Allow and Temporarily Allow), so 50 sites means 100 entries. I have been on sites that have more entries than the Washington Post -- up to 100, which would mean that I have to scroll through 200 entries on the NoScript list to find the Temporarily Allow All This Page option.

As for allowing scripts globally, NoScript keeps telling me that that's dangerous.

I'll try enabling the option that you suggest I enable, but my point remains: Why not move the Temporarily Allow All This Page option to the top? At least now I know why enabling everything takes multiple clicks.

I found the other thread to be very informative. I will permanently block all those ad sites. To be really effective, NoScript should make all the ad sites Untrusted by default.

Hey, I just discovered that that list of ad sites is 4-1/2 years old. You need to update it.

By the way, in the NoScript list, why can't I just right-click on an entry and make it untrusted? When I go to the Untrusted entry at the bottom, it opens up a list which doesn't have a Down scroll button! I can't figure out how to make all these unnecessary sites untrusted.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Caleb Murdock wrote:my point remains: Why not move the Temporarily Allow All This Page option to the top?
Personally I think the menu order should be customizable. I've suggested it in passing before - viewtopic.php?p=69331#p69331

BTW I just remembered, a third option would be to set a keyboard shortcut for Temporarily allow all this page - FAQ 3.11
Caleb Murdock wrote:To be really effective, NoScript should make all the ad sites Untrusted by default.
Hmm. NoScript is not an adblocker, but something like this might be worth considering given how much malvertising is out there. Up to Giorgio.

IMO it's probably best to wait until the Untrusted list can be managed from NoScript Options, like the whitelist currently can, so that a default Untrusted list would be more transparent to users.
Caleb Murdock wrote:Hey, I just discovered that that list of ad sites is 4-1/2 years old. You need to update it.
The user who started and maintained that list died some years ago. :(

That list hasn't been maintained since then because now we do this - viewtopic.php?p=75314#p75314
Caleb Murdock wrote:By the way, in the NoScript list, why can't I just right-click on an entry and make it untrusted?
Right-clicking a site entry in the NoScript menu copies that site to clipboard, so that you can paste it e.g. in searches.
Caleb Murdock wrote:When I go to the Untrusted entry at the bottom, it opens up a list which doesn't have a Down scroll button!
That is not right.

Sometimes this sort of messed-up menu is extension conflict, or something specific to a particular Firefox profile. Let us know if you would like help troubleshooting it.
Caleb Murdock wrote:I can't figure out how to make all these unnecessary sites untrusted.
Sounds like you're in the right place. The Untrusted sub-menu should be full of "Mark (site) as Untrusted" entries, just click the ones for the sites you don't want.
-