(2.9.5.2) ABE breaks internal Slack site

Bug reports and enhancement requests
wsha

(2.9.5.2) ABE breaks internal Slack site

Post by wsha »

On my company's internal Slack site (domain.slack.com), the pages load normally but I do not get live updates of new chat messages (I have to refresh the page to see new chats). At the top of the page, a banner always says "Reconnecting ...". Looking at the error console, I see:

Code: Select all

NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIURI.host] contentPolicy.js:182:0
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIChannelEventSink.asyncOnChannelRedirect]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://noscript/content/ForcedRedirectionCallback.js :: CESDelegate.prototype.asyncOnChannelRedirect :: line 51"  data: no]CESDelegate.prototype.asyncOnChannelRedirect@chrome://noscript/content/ForcedRedirectionCallback.js:51:7

NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIChannelEventSink.asyncOnChannelRedirect] ForcedRedirectionCallback.js:51:0
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at wss://mpmulti-9oy3.slack-msgs.com/websocket/Tsmb1lY8....
I truncated the final wss address because the full address could not get through this forum's spam filter.

If I disable ABE, then the site works normally and I don't see these errors. I tried putting the following into the user rule set but it didn't help:

Site *.slack.com
ALLOW ALL from *.slack-msgs.com
I also tried this but it didn't help:

Site *.com
ALLOW ALL from *.com
Any suggestions for how I could allow the Slack web sockets to connect without competely disabling ABE? I am using NS 2.9.5.2 on Fx 45 ESR.
Last edited by wsha on Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
barbaz

Re: (2.9.5.2) ABE breaks internal Slack site

Post by barbaz »

Replaced the spammy-looking thread title. wsha, please make a related thread title in future, thanks.
wsha wrote:

NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIURI.host] contentPolicy.js:182:0
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIChannelEventSink.asyncOnChannelRedirect]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://noscript/content/ForcedRedirectionCallback.js :: CESDelegate.prototype.asyncOnChannelRedirect :: line 51"  data: no]CESDelegate.prototype.asyncOnChannelRedirect@chrome://noscript/content/ForcedRedirectionCallback.js:51:7
Do you have any information about what URI this was?
wsha wrote:Any suggestions for how I could allow the Slack web sockets to connect without competely disabling ABE?
I don't think there's any other way around that error, sorry.

Moving to NoScript Development as a bug report.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
wsha

Post by wsha »

Sorry about the title. I was having trouble getting past the spam filter, so I stripped down the post until it got through and then started adding content back but forgot to add the title back.

I tested some more and found that by allowing scripts from some domains that were slow to load (did not show up originally) that I could get the site to work normally with ABE on. It is interesting that the site also worked with scripts from those domains blocked when ABE was disabled. Maybe Slack has a couple different methods of establishing the web socket connection.

I will make this as resolved since I don't have a problem now.
barbaz

Re: [RESOLVED] (2.9.5.2) ABE breaks internal Slack site

Post by barbaz »

Glad you have a workaround, but it is precisely that - a workaround. This behavior difference with ABE enabled is not right.
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

If ABE is blocking something, then there ought to be more in the Browser Console than that. It should log a message that clearly states what is blocked and which rule did the blocking.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

The messages above do clearly state what is going on, don't they? ABE is getting fed an unexpected URI and choking on it. The blocking is just the aftermath.

This issue looks to be a NoScript bug, not a mere 'run of the mill' support question.
-
wsha

Post by wsha »

I may have been wrong about Slack having multiple ways to connect. After a while, the connection went away (maybe after I restarted the browser) and now it doesn't work again unless I disable ABE. Perhaps I could get it to connect by disabling ABE and then re-enabling it after it is connected. I switched to using the Slack desktop client so I could leave ABE on. Let me know if I could help any more with diagnosing the problem.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I know how I'd debug this if it were me, but not sure whether I can give instructions.

Basically I'd look at the line of code in NoScript where the error occurs, wrap it in a try-catch block in a way that makes sense, log all URIs that make it to that catch block, and post the results. This requires a modified NoScript XPI, and since I don't see this problem, I can't verify that the modifications are working as intended.

How much JavaScript experience do you have?
-
wsha

Post by wsha »

I have moderate JavaScript experience (and XUL addon experience). I don't need to modify NoScript though because the relevant line of code is already in a try-catch block. The main problem seems to be in this block:

CESDelegate.prototype = {
  QueryInterface: XPCOMUtils.generateQI([Ci.nsIChannelEventSink]),
  asyncOnChannelRedirect: function(oldChan, newChan, flags, callback) {
    let label = "plugin forced redirection";
    try {
     label = (oldChan.loadInfo.externalContentPolicyType || oldChan.loadInfo.contentPolicyType)+ ": " + oldChan.name + " -> " + newChan.name + " - " + flags;
    } catch (e) {
      ns.log(e);
    }
    let cb = new RCBDelegate(callback, label);
    try {
      this.delegator.asyncOnChannelRedirect(oldChan, newChan, Ci.nsIChannelEventSink.REDIRECT_INTERNAL, cb);
    } catch (e) {
      ns.log(e);
      throw e;
    } finally {
      oldChan.notificationCallbacks = newChan.notificationCallbacks = this.delegator;
    }
  }
};
Specifically, the error

NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIChannelEventSink.asyncOnChannelRedirect]
is generated by this line:

this.delegator.asyncOnChannelRedirect(oldChan, newChan, Ci.nsIChannelEventSink.REDIRECT_INTERNAL, cb);
It is generated for the URI "https://mpmulti-57zb.slack-msgs.com/web ... ce_aware=1".

I got this information by stepping through with the debugger. I am not able to step into the asyncOnChannelRedirect function. I hope this information is helpful.

By the way, there are public Slack channels if you felt like looking into the problem. One that I know of can be joined from here: http://pythontesting.net/slack/. I see the same problem for that public Slack channel as the internal company one.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

That is very helpful. Thanks for the detailed info! Image

Odd, it looks like errors thrown there really should already be suppressed (also ChannelReplacement.js line 44). Image

While waiting for Giorgio to look into this, does NoScript 2.9.5.2rc2 work properly?
Old NoScript @
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/noscript/versions
*or*
https://noscript.net/feed?c=100&t=a
-
wsha

Post by wsha »

I tried 2.9.5.2rc2, but I see the same behavior in the error console (exception on the same line and for a slack-msgs.com URI).