Continuous Integrity Check Needed, ASAP!

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Editorial_Response

Continuous Integrity Check Needed, ASAP!

Post by Editorial_Response »

Danger!!!!

Ok, so I got to work today and fired up Firefox -w- NoScript like I do every day...it is like my sanity check. For some reason, I was trying to check out the functionality of NoScript on a particular page and lo and behold found that it had NOT start!!! Nothing I could do would restart it..... I took the fastest route possible that I could think of to make things right and disabled the Add-on, restarted Firefox and then re-enabled it.

I would like you to think about how you might do an integrity check at start up and for every page loaded. The solution might be very simple, I am sure that a complex solution will eat up too many cycles...and so I leave it up to you. I do NOT want to be testing NoScript on every page to see if somehow somebody or something has managed to disable it.

You need to fix that.

One idea, which you may reject, but just to get the brainstorming ball rolling would be too, "lightly" animate the NoScript icon at the lower right hand side so that by glancing I can know if it is active and installed or disabled at the conclusion of every page load. It would signify that it is running....possibly performing a very simple integrity check, proof of integrity.

Thanks for a great product!
Thomas
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.12) Gecko/2009070611 Firefox/3.0.12
therube
Ambassador

Re: Continuous Integrity Check Needed, ASAP!

Post by therube »

Might you have had another extension/plugin interfering with NoScript's loading, or some type of Profile corruption?

Is not the display of the icon enough of an "integrity check"?

AFAIK the only somebody who can disable it is you.

See this thread too, 1.9.7 installation bug: noscript is disabled.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090605 SeaMonkey/1.1.17
Grumpy Old Lady

Re: Continuous Integrity Check Needed, ASAP!

Post by Grumpy Old Lady »

Any is-it-working? kind of check within a system will fail along with any failure at any point within that system.
So NS is within extensions which is within Fx.
Therefore any oversight of NS would have to begin at the extensions manager level, which would have to be overseen at the Fx level.
Who knows how much of this already goes on?
I have no clue, but most problems with extension installation are down to extension manager corruption.
The bug work for this is probably going on at Fx level.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1