Any hope for a port to Edge?

Bug reports and enhancement requests
dicobalt

Any hope for a port to Edge?

Post by dicobalt »

I'm really liking the new browser and its speed, is there any hope for NoScript to be ported over to Edge?
Last edited by dicobalt on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
barbaz

Re: Any hope for a port to Edge?

Post by barbaz »

What is its backend? If it's Gecko, maybe soon. Any other browser backends need the right set of extension APIs and a sufficiently powerful extensions system - and so far, of the ones Giorgio has looked at, only Gecko based browsers do.

Can you please make a post in this thread from your Edge browser?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

(If you edited your post in response to my request for you to make a post from Edge, that's not enough, you actually need to submit a new post using Edge, sorry. I ask because it would be very helpful here to see the [not spoofed] user-agent string of Edge, and I can't be sure of the accuracy of any documents on the Internet about this given that Edge has not yet hit "release" and as such is still potentially subject to change. The UA string associated with a post doesn't get changed on post edits.)
-
dicobalt

Post by dicobalt »

Oh the edit was just a grammar fix :lol: Anyway this post is from Edge. Joe Belfiore has said that Edge would support both Firefox and Chrome extensions. I don't know how they plan to go about making that happen, but I thought maybe NoScript might be possible to run also.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/42.0.2311.135 Safari/537.36 Edge/12.10159
dicobalt

Post by dicobalt »

Wow that's quite the agent there. I swear there's no shenanigans, that's the default string.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/42.0.2311.135 Safari/537.36 Edge/12.10159
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thanks.
dicobalt wrote:Joe Belfiore has said that Edge would support both Firefox and Chrome extensions.
Do you have a VM or otherwise disposable environment to just try it in?

If it refuses to install you may need to modify NoScript's install.rdf which is something I know the basic idea of doing but I don't know what is the specific app ID(s) that Edge needs...
dicobalt wrote:Wow that's quite the agent there. I swear there's no shenanigans, that's the default string.
Oh I believe it. Read this for why ;) :lol:
-
dicobalt

Post by dicobalt »

Well, I'd love to try it but Edge doesn't have that extension functionality turned on right now. They will enable it later this year. I guess nobody knows at this point then, since Microsoft hasn't announced exactly how they are going to make this happen.
Tar_Ni

Post by Tar_Ni »

I have been trying Edge on my Windows 10 machine of late and i think it's a pretty good browser. It does not yet support extensions but I was wondering, is the browser engine suitable for NoScript? I like Firefox but I think it's fair to say that for many people, NoScript is the reason why we can't really switch to something else.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Tar_Ni wrote:is the browser engine suitable for NoScript?
EDIT Apparently the UA string is giving incorrect information about the browser engine, it's actually a fork of Trident called EdgeHTML.

And note that the browser engine is not what's preventing NS from being ported to other browsers - rather, the extensions system(s) of these other browsers simply lacks required functionality/APIs. The fact that Edge is (supposedly) going to support Firefox extensions is promising, but until extensions support is actually present & enabled in Edge there is no way to know whether there's any possibility to port NoScript to it, nor is it known how much effort will be required to do so.
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

-
king_quasar

Post by king_quasar »

Can we have a status update on this please? Extensions are now available following the Win10 Anniversary Update.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/51.0.2704.79 Safari/537.36 Edge/14.14393
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

IIUC, the latest status update is this.

Specifically, note this comment from Giorgio (slightly edited by me for clarity here ;) ):
Giorgio wrote:NoScript for Firefox is and will be my top priority, if nothing else because I am a Mozilla hacker and if I need some specific unsupported feature it's much easier for me to obtain it on this platform. An hypothetical ChromeEdge version would be just a (much convenient) side effect.
-