un-allow a flash object?

Bug reports and enhancement requests
johnrw

un-allow a flash object?

Post by johnrw »

Hi,

I am using NoScript on Firefox 3.0.6 in debian gnu/linux and often leave a few youtube videos open in a few tabs. Then when I restart Firefox, with session restore, it attempts to replay all the videos I had viewed in those tabs... at once. Since I have done this more than a few times... I thought I would let you know. It really sounds messy with them all playing at once. :) The problem may be hard to address... but I hope not. I literally have to chase all of the tabs down with videos playing and hit pause. Maybe placing things in a temporary state until the browser has finished loading all tabs, in all browsers. Or maybe the next item can lead to a solution for this.

This probably only happens on videos I have viewed and thus allowed... but that brings me to another point. It would be great if I could watch a flash video and then un-allow it. A right click on a flash area only has the flash context menus... and I doubt that is accessible to NoScript. But maybe a list of allowed objects in the current page could be placed in the menu... that could be checked/unchecked at will.

Don't get me wrong...
NoScript is Great stuff... as it is.

johnrw
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009020409 Iceweasel/3.0.6 (Debian-3.0.6-1)
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: un-allow a flash object?

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Hi, "Revoke temporary permissions" may seem a bit drastic, but it works just fine for me in the scenario you've outlined.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Not sure how session restore works, but if you Forbid Flash by default, then when the browser restarted (again session restore aside) you would expect to get a placeholder first, rather then having the Flash start playing immediately.

You can (generally) un-allow something by Zapping it.

One method, Bookmarklets for Zapping Annoyances. zap plugins or plain 'ol zap will usually do the trick.

Or an extension like Nuke Anything Enhanced can be used to remove the Flash object. (Sometimes it can be a bit tricky positioning the cursor to the correct spot to actually remove the object.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4pre) Gecko/20090327 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
johnrw

Post by johnrw »

I usually allow youtube.com (and also ytimg.com which seems to be needed for some content to play) by clicking "Allow youtube.com"
The site is now in the permanent whitelist... I guess. So it is not really your problem, per se, as I enabled the site.

Maybe a Global(per window maybe?)Temporarily Forbid All would work, like a panic button. That would be a cool feature anyways. I do have the extremely usefull NoScript Enable/Revoke Temporary Permissions buttons... but they effect things on a per tab basis.

It should not be hard for others to see what I am experiencing. Enable Session Restore... open 5 or 6 youtube's in some tabs and restart.

Otoh... I really do need to know that the videos are being played (again)... and the sound is my only hint to that for the ones that have sound in them.

The other extensions, addons, to be honest... I am not familiar with them. Someone in the #firefox channel suggested getting FlashBlock... but I really don't want to have NoScript and Flashblock duplicating tons of functionality... for just one feature.

cheers!
johnrw
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009020409 Iceweasel/3.0.6 (Debian-3.0.6-1)
johnrw

Post by johnrw »

ps... I am checking the extensions now though... :)
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

johnrw wrote:I usually allow youtube.com (and also ytimg.com which seems to be needed for some content to play) by clicking "Allow youtube.com"
The site is now in the permanent whitelist... I guess.
<snipped>
Enable Session Restore... open 5 or 6 youtube's in some tabs and restart.
Yes, you're right. I have those in my permanent whitelist too. But I've checked "Apply these restrictions to trusted sites too" in NoScript Options > Plugins, and temporarily allow each video by clicking on its placeholder icon. Assuming you have "Forbid Adobe Flash" checked in your Options, of course. This will prevent the videos from automatically playing upon a session restore.

Does this help? At least for now?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
johnrw

Post by johnrw »

therube wrote:Not sure how session restore works, but if you Forbid Flash by default, then when the browser restarted (again session restore aside) you would expect to get a placeholder first, rather then having the Flash start playing immediately.

You can (generally) un-allow something by Zapping it.

One method, Bookmarklets for Zapping Annoyances. zap plugins or plain 'ol zap will usually do the trick.

Or an extension like Nuke Anything Enhanced can be used to remove the Flash object. (Sometimes it can be a bit tricky positioning the cursor to the correct spot to actually remove the object.)
I liked the zap plugins bookmarklets, thanks for that!... but since all I need to do is hit Reload to recover a zapped object... it won't work on session restore.

Since this only happens when I Restart after an extension update... as I leave this machine on all the time... I can live with it. In the big scheme of things... I am kinda thinking on a Grandma/Grandpa scale... where some might freak out with a multitude of sounds sources playing all at once. :)

Zap plugins is so darn fast... it now has a place of honor on my bookmarks toolbar.
I'll use that until NoScript developers work out a solution if ever.
I'm still gonna refuse to install FlashBlock, as there should only be one Sheriff in town... and NoScript is the better choice.
It gets my vote for Firefox Sheriff 09... :)

Cheers!
johnrw
johnrw

Post by johnrw »

Alan Baxter wrote:
johnrw wrote:I usually allow youtube.com (and also ytimg.com which seems to be needed for some content to play) by clicking "Allow youtube.com"
The site is now in the permanent whitelist... I guess.
<snipped>
Enable Session Restore... open 5 or 6 youtube's in some tabs and restart.
Yes, you're right. I have those in my permanent whitelist too. But I've checked "Apply these restrictions to trusted sites too" in NoScript Options > Plugins, and temporarily allow each video by clicking on its placeholder icon. Assuming you have "Forbid Adobe Flash" checked in your Options, of course. This will prevent the videos from automatically playing upon a session restore.

Does this help? At least for now?
Ok.. now this looks promising... I'll try and use your settings and get right back...

johnrw
johnrw

Post by johnrw »

Alan Baxter gets a Gold Star!

That works beautifully...
Thank You for that! :)

I generally regard NoScript as one of those "Let the Masters decide" extensions. It has great defaults out of the box... and I figure I would only mess it up 'tinkering.'

Ok, this ticket is closed.
:)

johnrw
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

therube wrote:One method, Bookmarklets for Zapping Annoyances. zap plugins or plain 'ol zap will usually do the trick.
Oh, yes! Thank you! :D
johnrw wrote:Alan Baxter gets a Gold Star!
My first today. Glad to hear the config change works well for you. The developer suggested I tried this out a long time ago.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

How come I never had this problem? when I temporary allow something and FF crashes or something, when I restore session the temporary permissions are not in effect, which I love but I am wondering why that didn't happen here. HMM.

Nevermind, I just realized it was not temporary, it was a permanent allow, duh me!
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

johnrw wrote: and often leave a few youtube videos open in a few tabs.
Medication for attention deficit disorder is another option.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:Medication for attention deficit disorder is another option.
Oh don't be mean :twisted:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
johnrw

Post by johnrw »

Tom T. is a moderator around here?
I think this place is below my standards... I'm deleting my account.
Forget I was here...
I will.
l8r
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

johnrw wrote:Tom T. is a moderator around here?
I think this place is below my standards... I'm deleting my account.
Forget I was here...
I will.
l8r
You can do what you please but please maintain a proper and friendly tone. Or you will be deleted by the site. The standards here actually quite high and if you feel otherwise, you are free to leave. We are here to support you and its voluntary and we take it very seriously. Not all comments are meant to be snipes and you need to lighten up. When is said to Tom not to be mean, it was not actually meant as that, it was simply a joke and most would understand that.