whitelist addition

Bug reports and enhancement requests
dmcdivitt

whitelist addition

Post by dmcdivitt »

When I attempt to add a site to the whitelist, upon entering the entire domain the allow button becomes disabled. For instance if I enter "whatever.com", the moment I type the "m" at the end, the allow button becomes disabled. Backspacing over the "m" will enable again. If I click allow with the "m" missing, I assume the history is looked up because "whatever.com" will still be be added correctly. I tried with just "whatever" and that works, too. I like the automation, but the allow button should not become disabled upon entering the entire domain. It's confusing, and I had to figure out by trial and error.

It would be nice to have a context-menu item for "add domain to whitelist". The domain can be extracted from the currently displayed page. I certainly like the whitelist feature. NoScript would be a pain without it. Having a context-menu item to add the current domain would really be nice! It could appear along with other menu items when the NoScript add-in icon is clicked. Thanks
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
therube
Ambassador

Re: whitelist addition

Post by therube »

When that happens, it means that the site you are trying to add is already on your whitelist in some fashion or another.

If you have abc123.com Allowed, & then you go to allow www.abc123.com, as soon as you type the 'm', the Allow button grays out. That is to be expected. (Though if you had www.abc123.com Allowed, you could separately Allow abc123.com.)

There is already a context-menu item, Allow {site}.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090605 SeaMonkey/1.1.17
dmcdivitt

Post by dmcdivitt »

Thanks for the info. I did not see a context-menu item to add the domain. Surely that was because the domain was already in the list like you say. I did some trial and error to see what shows up and when. Thanks for making a well thought out program. I've just switched to FF from IE. Too much crap. Too complicated. I'm tired of trying to keep up with it. I wish I'd gone to FF sooner. With all the add-ins available it works much better and has better security. One thing I especially like is being able to put everything I want on ONE menu bar.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Grumpy Old Lady

Post by Grumpy Old Lady »

dmcdivitt wrote:I wish I'd gone to FF sooner. With all the add-ins available it works much better and has better security.
Welcome to the Whitelist Appreciation Society of the Fx Community ;-)
Re whitelisting using the NS UI: you will find that the developer Giorgio has put a great amount of design thought into making whitelisting on-the-fly as foolproof as possible; as well as being as annoying as you've discovered, manually inputting to the whitelist (even with the logical barrier you encountered) has a much bigger risk of a security-vital error than selecting from a menu.
If you'd like to be very specific about which subdomains you want to whitelist, the NS Option|Appearance can be tweaked to reveal not only the default Base 2nd level Domains, but also right down to full addresses.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5