Listed in whitelist but still not allowed?!

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Alpengreis

Listed in whitelist but still not allowed?!

Post by Alpengreis »

Hello,

I have a "problem" with javascript in some (special) cases:

Here is an example with address http://www.conrad.ch - loaded by Google Search ...

Note, it only happen after fresh browser start and NOT with a retest/reload in actual browser session!

Okay, I start the browser and load the following address:

http://www.google.ch/aclk?sa=l&ai=Cvw2s ... D1&cad=rja

Then NoScript reports http://www.conrad.ch as non-whitelisted - but this address (URL) is already whitelisted (also without "www" and in some other combination, but definitive whitelisted)!

Why is this behaviour?

Kind regards,
Alpengreis (formerly SwissBIT)

PS: See screenshot for more information: http://www.alpengreis.ch/forums/Fx-NoScript_1.jpg
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: Listed in whitelist but still not allowed?!

Post by therube »

Could you further explain the steps to reproduce as I can't seem to duplicate it?
Browser opens to what, about:blank or something?
Then you paste the google.cn URL?
Or are you opening it from the sidebar?

What other domains do you have allowed?

Any NoScript settings other then defaults?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0 SeaMonkey/2.23a2
Alpengreis

Post by Alpengreis »

Hi therube,
therube wrote:Could you further explain the steps to reproduce as I can't seem to duplicate it?
Yes, of course.
therube wrote:Browser opens to what, about:blank or something?
Open with about:blank or something else, except the related domains (could be a cache-thing).
therube wrote:Then you paste the google.cn URL?
Or are you opening it from the sidebar?
Copy and Paste the google-link or klick-it here, not from the sidebar (but should be irrelevant).
therube wrote:What other domains do you have allowed?
Uhh... many are whitelisted (over hundred), but it should have nothing to do with this problem, because the behaviour is only once and after the second load no more. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
therube wrote:Any NoScript settings other then defaults?
It should have nothing to do with this problem, because the behaviour is only once and after (reload, repaste while the session) no more. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Greetings from Switzerland!
Alpengreis
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

(Still not able to duplicate & no other ideas at the moment, though it does kind of remind me of this, http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... =7&t=14721 ?)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.23a2
Alpengreis

Post by Alpengreis »

Hmm... could be possible ...

I make some further tests (clean profile, without plugins, clean noscript (standard prefs) etc). I'll report then ...
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Given therube's last post and the fact that your issue also sounds similar to this, you should also consider trying clean profile with only NoScript (with your settings) and NoRedirect configured to block all redirects, which could have made the topic therube referenced a lot shorter...
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.21
Alpengreis

Post by Alpengreis »

I have found out the reason for this behaviour!

It's not because the conrad-site itself - it's because other UNTRUSTED (not just not allowed site) within this site. Then NoScript reports http://www.conrad.ch as not allowed, but this message is false!

Try following steps to reproduce it:

1. Make sure that the link (data from link) above is NOT already in Browser-Cache ("Reload page without using content stored in the browser cache")!

2. Make sure that the domain googleadservices.com is UNTRUSTED!

3. Restart the Browser

4. Load the google link above

5. Now you should see the false NoScript message!

Thanks for testing in advance!

Greetings
Alpengreis
Alpengreis

Post by Alpengreis »

Hi all,

and what is now? This behavior still exists and is reproducable (here) ...

You can download the following archive to check some of my noscript settings (if
it's necessary):

http://www.alpengreis.ch/forums/NoScript_Captures.zip

Thanks!

Greetings,
Alpengreis

Post by Alpengreis »

Hi,

well I found out the reason for this behavior. It has to do with the so-called Google Ads (Adwords) ...

see also external link http://www.alpengreis.ch/forums/google-ads.jpg.

Greetings,
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Could you please explain more what you mean?
As far as I know, Google search ad links go through a lot of redirects before getting you to the site you want. Are you sure that you're not just being redirected first from the link to googleadservices, then from there to the site you want to go to? When I click the link in the OP, it looks like it's trying to redirect me to some googleadservices URL, but it does it wrong, producing a 404 on google.ch, so I can't check this myself.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0 SeaMonkey/2.21
Alpengreis

Post by Alpengreis »

Uff, my english ;-)

Okay, I will try ...

1. Make sure that the related domain (for ex. conrad.ch) is on noscript whitelist
2. Make sure that google ads (such with the little "i" in a circle and yellow background on the google search site) are NOT blocked (through AdBlock or somewhat)
3. Make sure that "browser.cache.check_doc_frequency" is set to 3 (about:config) - maybe this step is not necessary
4. ReStart your Fx and eventually clear your browser cache
5. Load google search site (https://www.google.ch) and type in the search field: Olight Conrad site:ch
6. Then at least one related ad should appear on the google search result page, if NOT type other text in the search field with string conrad (and something else)
7. Click on a such related Google-Ad(word)-LINK (such ad is with the little "i" in a circle and yellow background), but click NOT on the "i", click on the link-name

Now, the conrad.ch script is blocked, at least until the site is reloaded. And this is the error, because conrad.ch is on the noscript whitelist and should be allowed also the first time!

With these steps, the behavour is reproducable (here) (every time).

Note: this should also work, if you are "google opt-outed", because such google ads are generated direct from the search machine ...

Note: The most important thing to reproducable is: you MUST make a new-start with Fx - when had this behaviour with blocking script and retype the search term in google, it's maybe no more blocked!

Greetings,
Alpengreis
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Can't reproduce that with a fresh browser start & clean cache with those steps searching for "amazon" and clicking the ad. I think it could be a regional thing why therube & I can't reproduce this. I also tried searching for olight conrad site:conrad.ch and got nothing like what you get...
Is google allowed in NoScript?
If not, please post what happens when you install NoRedirect add-on and set it up to forbid all redirects then retry the steps you mentioned.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0 SeaMonkey/2.21
Alpengreis

Post by Alpengreis »

Hi barbaz
barbaz wrote:Can't reproduce that with a fresh browser start & clean cache with those steps searching for "amazon" and clicking the ad. I think it could be a regional thing why therube & I can't reproduce this. I also tried searching for olight conrad site:conrad.ch and got nothing like what you get...
Is google allowed in NoScript?
Yes, with Amazon I also have no problem ...
barbaz wrote:If not, please post what happens when you install NoRedirect add-on and set it up to forbid all redirects then retry the steps you mentioned.
Google is allowed. And: it happens only when loading via such a link. After a reload it works then. But thanks for the tip on the addon - I'll test it.

Thank you!
Alpengreis
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I'll save you some time - the missing piece of information was that you had whitelisted google.ch. With google.ch allowed and using the link from the OP, I get redirected to googleadservices.com (explicitly marked as untrusted here), where NoRedirect intercepts a redirect to conrad.ch. Follow the redirect and bam, conrad.ch script-blocked despite having been added to the whitelist. So this is just another manifestation of http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... 10&t=16994. Until Giorgio comes up with a fix, could a moderator please try to merge these topics and/or lock one of them to reduce confusion?
Alpengreis

Post by Alpengreis »

ah, that's cool, thank you, barbaz - then all is clear now!