Noscript for Google Chrome?

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Noscript for Google Chrome?

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Vux wrote: Perhaps something like FlashBlock or Flash Block, or even Adblock+?
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/de ... bcaignabnl Flash Block
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/de ... gffbjijcie FlashBlock
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/46974 AdBlock+ for Chrome
None of the examples you mentioned is more than a pale imitation of the original, hiding stuff with CSS rather than actually blocking it, since Chrome has no proper blocking API yet (I suspect because they want to prevent effective ad-blocking).
Of course this makes a NoScript porting impossible.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
SeanM

Post by SeanM »

I would never use Chrome for any serious work, for lack of NoScript, AdBlock, and a clearer security picture. Just a personal observation, but as NoScript, ABP, Flashblock and other extensions remove, stop or render useless much of the revenue sources to Google, I am suspect of the intent of any extensibility to the Chrome browser. Themes are one thing, extensions which remove objects (or render such inoperative) are quite a different matter.

On a related note, Google just air-dropped the "Google Earth" Firefox plugin on my 3.6 beta, going against my Google Pack options. Perhaps Google and Microsoft believe they know our intentions better than we do.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2b4) Gecko/20091124 Firefox/3.6b4
sartek

Post by sartek »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
Vux wrote: Perhaps something like FlashBlock or Flash Block, or even Adblock+?
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/de ... bcaignabnl Flash Block
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/de ... gffbjijcie FlashBlock
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/46974 AdBlock+ for Chrome
None of the examples you mentioned is more than a pale imitation of the original, hiding stuff with CSS rather than actually blocking it, since Chrome has no proper blocking API yet (I suspect because they want to prevent effective ad-blocking).
Of course this makes a NoScript porting impossible.
you said something like you are working with google on the issues, do you have issue numbers that we can vote(star) them?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.249.25 Safari/532.5
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Chrome is currently no more than an a halfassed open source project put together with band-aids and is missing MANY fundamental functions, like the ability to configure your page and change any print elements. This is the most fundamental of any tool but they don't have it. I like some things about it, don't get me wrong and for BS stuff, I will even use it occasionally but without a real functional backbone that can be tapped and properly used, its not more than any other custom browser job like NeoPlanet that was built on IE and a dozen other custom jobs that ultimately failed because the foundation was bad. It has potential but in its current form, its just another way for Google to ensure they shove stuff to your face and track you easier, it doesn't even have a real cookie management system for god sake. I will NEVER use Chrome for anything serious with something like NoScript in place, simple as that, I don't care if it can turn water into gasoline. Just my two cents. Cheers.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

sartek wrote:you said something like you are working with google on the issues, do you have issue numbers that we can vote(star) them?
I've been contacted by Google before they started their extendibility API subproject: they asked what I needed to port NoScript and FlashGot, and I gave detailed answers with references to the related Mozilla technologies.
If they're still missing, probably means that they changed their mind down the road and they don't actually want something like NoScript (or Adblock Plus) in the near future.
Anyway I've found this, if you want to star something.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Vux

Post by Vux »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
sartek wrote:you said something like you are working with google on the issues, do you have issue numbers that we can vote(star) them?
I've been contacted by Google before they started their extendibility API subproject: they asked what I needed to port NoScript and FlashGot, and I gave detailed answers with references to the related Mozilla technologies.
If they're still missing, probably means that they changed their mind down the road and they don't actually want something like NoScript (or Adblock Plus) in the near future.
Anyway I've found this, if you want to star something.
Starred!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
dhouwn
Bug Buster

Post by dhouwn »

I believe this Chrome extension does really block flash and not just hide it, because if I look in the Google Chrome task manager the Flash plugin is not loaded until I click on the placeholder (tested on Youtube).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2b4) Gecko/20091124 Firefox/3.6b4
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

dhouwn wrote:I believe this Chrome extension does really block flash and not just hide it
epic fail :D
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

You can comment here, too.
dhouwn
Bug Buster

Post by dhouwn »

Ok, my mistake. I did not expect that Chrome does not load the plugin for an hidden OBJECT. So in fact this Flash 'blocker' is also just a Flash hidder…

@Giorgo-the-Ninja: Yes, I know. I'm subscribed to your blog of course. ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2b4) Gecko/20091124 Firefox/3.6b4
nzpossum

Post by nzpossum »

Quote from Aaron Boodman (Chrome developer) from back in August, which i think refers to this topic

"We do want to eventually have a request interception API, but we won't
have it anytime soon"
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.249.25 Safari/532.5
Vux

Post by Vux »

nzpossum wrote:Quote from Aaron Boodman (Chrome developer) from back in August, which i think refers to this topic

have it anytime soon"
Link?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Vux wrote:
nzpossum wrote:Quote from Aaron Boodman (Chrome developer) from back in August, which i think refers to this topic

have it anytime soon"
Link?
July, actually. Google is your friend.
http://www.mail-archive.com/chromium-di ... 05847.html
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
Vux

Post by Vux »

Alan Baxter wrote:
Vux wrote:

have it anytime soon"
Link?
July, actually. Google is your friend.
http://www.mail-archive.com/chromium-di ... 05847.html
Eh, so 5 months... I think that could turn into a soon, no? ; )
deg909

Post by deg909 »

Seems like folks want at least two things:
1. Control over which Scripts can /cannot run (ie. to block ads).
2. Protection XSS Cross-Scripting (whether or not the user has opted to view an "ad" or other element).

Item #2 is essential, and does not interfere with Google's revenue stream.
Item #1 is VERY important, but may/does conflict with Google's funding source / advertisement revenue.

Are these two elements independent?
If so, could XSS protection be implemented for Chrome without threatening Google funding?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6