[RESOLVED] right click to google (& forum?) url

Bug reports and enhancement requests
somethingfly

[RESOLVED] right click to google (& forum?) url

Post by somethingfly »

I have to do this so many times, would be nice if when i get the blocked/allowed site (e.g. [x]), I can right click and select "google [x]", which immediately opens a new tab/page, and it does exactly that: googles with the search term of that url. I can then know immediately if i need that site to complete, say, a transaction or view some content.

Potentially, you could also have a forum in here that is devoted to information on sites that people encounter regularly (allowed via noscript options). Then, you could also add that to your right-click menu "infoaction forum [x]" (may need to select it in options, not sure if it should be default).

It goes straight to a topic that is labeled that site. If there is no information, you can be prompted to add to it (of course you would need to register). This way, other noscript users can say "Yeah, that's a typical cdn version of the site [y], if you are going to [y] you'll probably need to at least temporarily allow that to see the content. But user [z - with profile link], has inspected the javascript code for that site and it seems legit as of 4-13-13 12 PM."
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: right click blocked/allowed sites to google (& forum?) u

Post by therube »

"Starting with version 1.9.9.61, NoScript offers a "Site Info" page which can help you to assess the trustworthyness of the web sites shown in your NoScript menu. You can access this service by middle-clicking or shift-clicking the relevant menu item."
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.19a2
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

somethingfly wrote:I have to do this so many times, would be nice if when i get the blocked/allowed site (e.g. [x]), I can right click and select "google [x]", which immediately opens a new tab/page, and it does exactly that: googles with the search term of that url. I can then know immediately if i need that site to complete, say, a transaction or view some content.
You could try going to about:config (if you're confident in doing that) and changing noscript.siteInfoProvider.
Potentially, you could also have a forum in here that is devoted to information on sites that people encounter regularly (allowed via noscript options). Then, you could also add that to your right-click menu "infoaction forum [x]" (may need to select it in options, not sure if it should be default).
Hmm...interesting idea. I'm not sure about creating a whole separate forum, but you could create a regular topic (probably in NoScript Support) for that purpose, and see whether there's enough interest in it to keep it current. If enough people like it, Giorgio might make it sticky, so it will always appear near the top.

Of course, we ideally want people to search the forum for their problem first, in which case, if a site has been addressed before, they'll probably find it without needing a dedicated topic.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
somethingfly

Post by somethingfly »

Sorry for the delay on the response... I actually did try to respond once, but I lost everything I wrote before I could submit... I hate that about BBS's, I wish there was an autosave you could turn on.

Anyway, I don't remember everything I said, but could you give very basic instructions on how to configure it to google the URL? I am confident I could do it with a minimum of instruction (even a url or two if you don't want to explain every detail). If you want to go more in depth, you could also say how to put in search terms (but I won't ask that much of you).

Another great thing about a forum (or other avenue) devoted to info on whether a site needs to be enacted, would be if you do it for the main URL of a site, people would say which of the /many/ sub-sites of a site really need to be allowed to do the minimum of what needs to function in the main site.

While a forum would be great, what you need is something with a rating system. You know, along the lines of amazon's comment system. Then the top comment would be displayed in your middle-click and it would give you all the info you would probably need.

Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/21.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

• Open a new tab.
  • In the address bar, type about:config.
  • Press Enter and ignore the warning (although it is a valid warning and you should not poke around randomly or you might break Firefox).
  • Search for 'noscript.siteInfoProvider'. Double-click on the one result that should appear.
  • Replace the 'http://noscript.net/about' segment with 'https://www.google.com/search?q='
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/22.0
somethingfly

Post by somethingfly »

Awesome! It works. Far more useful than what it used to do (I think I actually replaced "http://noscript.net/about/", since that looked more sensible). I may tweak some more, but now I know how, and i like it! Noscript should really add google-ing the url (maybe with some extra parameters) in the list on the normal middle click, but this works well.

Thanks, Thrawn.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/23.0