Not autoreloading / closing menu if clicked from toolbar

Bug reports and enhancement requests
dinosnake

Not autoreloading / closing menu if clicked from toolbar

Post by dinosnake »

Same problem on Firefox 18.0 / 18.1 / 18.2 / 19.0. Currently have NoScript message bar set to display at top of page. The following pattern occurs on 3 different computers:

If you use the NoScript button on the address toolbar, many times the dropdown menu fails to instantly close upon clicking a selection. This reaction causes Firefox to freeze the UI and not auto-reload the page.

Upon closure of the NoScript dropdown menu via clicking on any other area of the Firefox UI, reloading the page many times fails to display the NoScript message bar even if there continues to be denied permissions. The only NoScript control that remains is the main button on the address toolbar. A forced, manual reload of the page via F5 causes the NoScript message bar to reappear.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: Not autoreloading / closing menu if clicked from toolbar

Post by Tom T. »

dinosnake wrote:Same problem on Firefox 18.0 / 18.1 / 18.2 / 19.0. Currently have NoScript message bar set to display at top of page. The following pattern occurs on 3 different computers:

If you use the NoScript button on the address toolbar, many times the dropdown menu fails to instantly close upon clicking a selection. This reaction causes Firefox to freeze the UI and not auto-reload the page.
This happens with the following about:config settings, which are the default settings:

noscript.stickyUI; true
noscript.stickyUI.liveReload; false

Toggling either or both, as you wish, should change that behavior.
Upon closure of the NoScript dropdown menu via clicking on any other area of the Firefox UI, reloading the page many times fails to display the NoScript message bar even if there continues to be denied permissions. The only NoScript control that remains is the main button on the address toolbar. A forced, manual reload of the page via F5 causes the NoScript message bar to reappear.
I cannot reproduce this on Fx 18.0.2, NS 2.6.5.8rc3. Does it happen on a clean profile with only NoScript installed, no other addons?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0.2
dinosnake

Post by dinosnake »

The third computer to display this tendency Is is a brand-new install of FF19 on a brand-new install of Win7 Professional. The only other plugin I have is VideoDownloadHelper, and VDH is installed on all three computers that show this activity. Under earlier versions of NS this tendency did not happen - it is only in the recent releases and upgrade to FF 18. FF 3 and 15, in combination with previous version of NS had no issues even with VDH installed.

Would you like to to remove VDH to test?
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

> Would you like to to remove VDH to test?

Yes.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.17a2
dinosnake

Post by dinosnake »

therube wrote: Yes.
OK. Will get back to you with results.
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Also, please try it on a clean profile with only NS added, as requested.

I realize that the chance of profile corruption on three different machines at the same time is small, unless you sync them (Do you?), but it's theoretically possible that the other add-on did something to the profile that remains even after you uninstall it. Might as well rule it out.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
dinosnake

Post by dinosnake »

Thanks for the reply.

I do not sync.

Pattern still occurs with VideoDownloadHelper uninstalled, but retaining current profile. The pattern seems to be when you either (A) have several tabs open and you go back and forth between them, or (B, more often and the greatest cause of my noticing this pattern) when you use the Alt-Left Arrow key to go backwards to a previously viewed page. While viewing The Register (http://register.co.uk), Camera Labs (http://www.cameralabs.com), Wired Magazine (http://www.wired.com), and many others, NS shows this pattern.

When viewing the aforementioned sites, no permissions are allowed. The Appearance settings of NC are: Status bar label on; Contextual menu on; Temporary allow [...] on; Base 2nd level Domains on; Recently blocked sties on; Temporarily allow all this page on; Revoke Temporary Permissions on. All other appearance options are turned OFF. Forbid <IFRAME> is turned on in Embeddings; Hide after [x] seconds is turned OFF in Notifications. I have Firefox's "When I open a tab, switch to it immediately" turned on.

I will now go to a clean profile as recommended and try again.
dinosnake

Post by dinosnake »

Reset to clean profile as requested and reran tests.

Same result: using Alt-left arrow to step backwards in history fails to bring up NoScript message bar, regardless of fact that there may continue to be permission messages awaiting acceptance.
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

(Assuming that the about:config settings described solved the autoreload issue, and addressing only the message bar.)

With your Appearance settings, I can reproduce the lack of the message bar using the browser back and forward arrows as well as Alt+left or right arrow.
However, if I then change a permission on a focused tab, the reload does indeed produce the message bar.

It may be intended behavior, on the theory that you have already been notified once about the permission status, so if you go back and forth without changing any permissions, why bother you again? I will ask Giorgio. Thanks.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Tom T. wrote: It may be intended behavior, on the theory that you have already been notified once about the permission status, so if you go back and forth without changing any permissions, why bother you again? I will ask Giorgio. Thanks.
Yes, it is the intended behavior, matured back in the day after several discussions with the user base.
dinosnake

Post by dinosnake »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
Tom T. wrote: It may be intended behavior, on the theory that you have already been notified once about the permission status, so if you go back and forth without changing any permissions, why bother you again? I will ask Giorgio. Thanks.
Yes, it is the intended behavior, matured back in the day after several discussions with the user base.
Thank you. Any override settings to personalize this and have the menu bar reappear? Ergonomically speaking, if one is used to using the message bar to allow permissions it changes the location, and therefore demands that you refocus your attention, to the address bar.
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

dinosnake wrote:Ergonomically speaking, if one is used to using the message bar to allow permissions it changes the location, and therefore demands that you refocus your attention, to the address bar.
I wouldn't really recommend using the message bar to access the menu routinely, as it's aimed more at letting you know there are blocked scripts. You're better off relying on the icon, or the context menu.

How about moving the NoScript icon from the address bar to the addon bar, at the bottom of the screen? Ctrl-Slash to enable the addon bar, right-click on any toolbar and select Customize, then just drag the NoScript icon wherever you want it.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0