Feature Request: Plays nice with Containers!

Bug reports and enhancement requests
SoItBegins

Feature Request: Plays nice with Containers!

Post by SoItBegins »

Firefox recently introduced a feature called Containers, which is still in development. In it, users can open a tab in a 'container' that provides a context different from the regular browsing environment. (See https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Conte ... Containers for more information.)

Most importantly, cookies, localStorage, etc., that are in a container are kept separate from other containers and the main browser context. The effect is to create a 'bubble' where a site has no knowledge of what goes on in the rest of the user's browsing session.

Would it be possible to update NoScript so that preferences are normally the same in a container as elsewhere, but can be customized? So, for example, Facebook is not allowed to run Javascript most of the time, except in the Facebook container.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Re: Feature Request: Plays nice with Containers!

Post by barbaz »

This only makes sense for A) script permissions, B) the "Forbid WebGL" setting under NoScript Options > Embeddings, and C) the XSS filter.

The benefits of (A) are obvious.

(B) is useful if you're playing online HTML5 games in one container and doing other stuff in another. As someone who currently uses something similar to "containers", I find myself un-checking that option when I'm playing HTML5 games, but leaving it checked elsewhere. Don't need hardware-accelerated stuff running on every JS-enabled website under the sun.

(C)... well, some sites are stupidly designed and trip the XSS filter with their normal activity. So if you disable the XSS filter in just the one container, and visit ONLY that one site in that container, that's a lot safer than the status quo isn't it?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

I hadn't heard of the Containers initiative, but having read through that page, I like it. It's basically "do your banking in a separate profile" without the hassle of actually managing multiple, simultaneous, profiles.

For NoScript's primary use case - stopping malicious sites from exploiting vulnerabilities via JavaScript and other active content - it's less important, but for all the cross-site protections (XSS, CSRF, Clickjacking), this seems like the ultimate defence.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
adamhotep

Post by adamhotep »

I think it's time to reconsider Containers support.

Nowadays, Firefox Containers are built-in (though iirc there is extra functionality if you still install the Firefox Multi-Account Containers add-on).

As noted in prior posts to this topic, this is not as much a security request as it is a privacy and trust request. I don't trust Google but I have to use it for work, so I want to allow its services solely within the container I've set up for that. I also want to limit Facebook's scripts to the Facebook Container (which is a separate add-on because it forces external links to external containers, but I expect it to be identical to standard containers from NoScript's perspective).

See also Security/Contextual Identity Project/Containers on the Mozilla Wiki. Feel free to reference Cookie AutoDelete (MIT/X11 License, compatible with GPL), which supports Containers (including Facebook Containers).
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:73.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/73.0
cpx

Post by cpx »

First I want to thank to all developer for bringing this great software. It help me quite a lot to avoid unnecessary tracking and javascript.

I also would like to voice to +1 this idea.

This is my use-case. I just don't trust google this day. But i still depend on their product. namely google.
I want to mainly enable google in my personal tab. So I can open google related product there but disable it on everywhere else.

I guess that's this is probably huge changes in the codebase to support this. But would be grate to have this a feature.

Cheers !
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:74.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/74.0
Mad_Man_Moon

Post by Mad_Man_Moon »

+1 :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:77.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/77.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

aaronkollasch wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:34 pm I've been developing and using a PR for NoScript with separate policies for each container without requesting the "management" permission.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-