RESOLVED Strange script tries to run when connection is down

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: Strange script tries to run when connection is down

Post by Tom T. »

Tom T wrote:... Web browsers are capable of running JavaScript outside of the sandbox, with the privileges necessary to, for example, create or delete files. Of course, such privileges aren't meant to be granted to code from the web. [[But it happens, right? (bold and italics are mine) -- T.T.]]
computerfreaker wrote:What about execute privs? That's the bigger of the 2 steps...
If you can create a file, you can create an executable file.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

JavaScript can't install exes without user consent unless it exploits some browser and/or plugin vulnerability.
Unfortunately, this kind of beasts are far from uncommon (at this moment, for instance, there's an Adobe Reader 0day in the wild, while latest Fx update fixed 4 bugs exploitable for this purpose).
The worst of JavaScript is that if such a vulnerability can be exploited, it doesn't even need to install anything in order to compromise your system, since it's a programming language of itself.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
computerfreaker

Post by computerfreaker »

Tom T wrote:... Web browsers are capable of running JavaScript outside of the sandbox, with the privileges necessary to, for example, create or delete files. Of course, such privileges aren't meant to be granted to code from the web. [[But it happens, right? (bold and italics are mine) -- T.T.]]
computerfreaker wrote:What about execute privs? That's the bigger of the 2 steps...
Tom T. wrote:If you can create a file, you can create an executable file.
But can you install that file? Creating an exe and running an exe are two different things...
Giorgio Maone wrote:JavaScript can't install exes without user consent unless it exploits some browser and/or plugin vulnerability.
Unfortunately, this kind of beasts are far from uncommon (at this moment, for instance, there's an Adobe Reader 0day in the wild, while latest Fx update fixed 4 bugs exploitable for this purpose).
The worst of JavaScript is that if such a vulnerability can be exploited, it doesn't even need to install anything in order to compromise your system, since it's a programming language of itself.
So... the innoshots malware must have come through a browser/plugin vuln, right?
EDIT: I doubt it would have been a Fx vuln as Tom was running NS... probably a plugin vuln. Scary, since we don't even know which plugin...
With great power comes great responsibility.
Learn something new every day, and the rest will take care of itself.
Life is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the trip!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

computerfreaker wrote:EDIT: I doubt it would have been a Fx vuln as Tom was running NS... probably a plugin vuln.
Not either, for the same reason: NS will protect you from plugin vulnerabilities as long as the plugin content is not downloaded from a trusted source (or even in that case, if you've got the same configuration as me).
So the most likely venue for infection here would be either a malicious email attachment or some warez.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
computerfreaker

computerfreaker wrote:EDIT: I doubt it would have been a Fx vuln as Tom was running NS... probably a plugin vuln.
Giorgio Maone wrote:Not either, for the same reason: NS will protect you from plugin vulnerabilities as long as the plugin content is not downloaded from a trusted source (or even in that case, if you've got the same configuration as me).
So the most likely venue for infection here would be either a malicious email attachment or some warez.
Tom already ruled out warez, and IMHO a malicious e-mail attachment would be pretty obvious (i.e. surely, of the 3 people with the same infection, at least 1 would relate that to the e-mail attachment they just opened...)
So what's left?
:idea:
Tom said he had to allow 40 or so scripts so he could use Yahoo mail, and (IIRC) Monty had to allow scripts to run on Google. Because the scripts were allowed, NS would no longer offer protection... so at this point, we're looking at Google, Yahoo and Firefox getting hacked. Is that a possibility, or is that just too much hacking for someone to handle?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
Not either, for the same reason: NS will protect you from plugin vulnerabilities as long as the plugin content is not downloaded from a trusted source (or even in that case, if you've got the same configuration as me).
I will run some Flash from YouTube (whitelist YouTube and yimg), but only in Sandboxie, so any malicious code should be dumped on closing the browser. Flash is blocked by default, and I allow only the desired video, by clicking the placeholder. I have 100% of Embeddings checked.

I wouldn't have gone to YT, nor any other site with active plugin content allowed, during the time that I was able to reproduce the issue and was actively investigating it.
Giorgio Maone wrote:So the most likely venue for infection here would be either a malicious email attachment or some warez.
Never opened an attachment from unknown sources, and generally scan even those from friends and business associates, although we've seen some surprising failures of AV-detection posted here lately.

The fact that I run sandboxed 100% of the time implies a "live" infection, as nothing can write outside the sandbox except NS prefs, Adblock prefs, cookie prefs, bookmarks, etc. No file-creation or installation allowed, so it would have had to have been picked up at the time of investigation -- because it disappeared in the next session, i. e., once the browser had been closed and the sandbox emptied. So it was written into the sandbox.
computerfreaker wrote:Tom said he had to allow 40 or so scripts so he could use Yahoo mail, and (IIRC) Monty had to allow scripts to run on Google. Because the scripts were allowed, NS would no longer offer protection... so at this point, we're looking at Google, Yahoo and Firefox getting hacked. Is that a possibility, or is that just too much hacking for someone to handle?
Actually, the ever-increasing script count at Yahoo Mail is up to 85 ATM. But Montagar doesn't use Yahoo mail, and I don't allow scripting from http://www.yahoo.com, only from mail.yahoo.com. I *think* that change was made before this incident, but there's a tiny possibility it might have been made in response to this issue. I'd have to dig through full-disk-image backups to see if I can pin down when I made that change. Montagar may have visited Yahoo or some sub-domain of it. Does he allow any scripting from Yahoo parent or subs?

I don't allow scripting from Google.com -- it's Untrusted -- so I'm at a loss.

EDIT:
Giorgio Maone wrote:The worst of JavaScript is that if such a vulnerability can be exploited, it doesn't even need to install anything in order to compromise your system, since it's a programming language of itself.
However, in this case, it *did* install something: a folder with several files, disguised as a Fx add-on, complete with "install.rdf" files and the <hidden> install tag. So I think computerfreaker's question was whether malicious JS could do that *without* exploiting a vuln -- which, as Giorgio points out, are common anyway.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

computerfreaker wrote:[snip]and (IIRC) Monty had to allow scripts to run on Google. Because the scripts were allowed, NS would no longer offer protection... so at this point, we're looking at Google, Yahoo and Firefox getting hacked. Is that a possibility, or is that just too much hacking for someone to handle?[/snip]
Just to be clear, I did not have NS installed when I picked up this malware. I only found out that I had it after I installed NS.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
computerfreaker

Giorgio Maone wrote:
Tom T. wrote:I will run some Flash from YouTube (whitelist YouTube and yimg), but only in Sandboxie, so any malicious code should be dumped on closing the browser. Flash is blocked by default, and I allow only the desired video, by clicking the placeholder. I have 100% of Embeddings checked.

I wouldn't have gone to YT, nor any other site with active plugin content allowed, during the time that I was able to reproduce the issue and was actively investigating it.
Did you go to Yahoo mail?
Tom T. wrote:The fact that I run sandboxed 100% of the time implies a "live" infection, as nothing can write outside the sandbox except NS prefs, Adblock prefs, cookie prefs, bookmarks, etc. No file-creation or installation allowed, so it would have had to have been picked up at the time of investigation -- because it disappeared in the next session, i. e., once the browser had been closed and the sandbox emptied. So it was written into the sandbox.
Which is the track I'm following right now - because it was written into the sandbox during a normal browsing session, you had to have picked it up during your normal browsing session. Since you have NS running, it had to have come from some allowed domain - like Yahoo Mail.
I was following that same line with Montagar, but that's off per his latest post...
computerfreaker wrote:Tom said he had to allow 40 or so scripts so he could use Yahoo mail, and (IIRC) Monty had to allow scripts to run on Google. Because the scripts were allowed, NS would no longer offer protection... so at this point, we're looking at Google, Yahoo and Firefox getting hacked. Is that a possibility, or is that just too much hacking for someone to handle?
Tom T. wrote:Actually, the ever-increasing script count at Yahoo Mail is up to 85 ATM. But Montagar doesn't use Yahoo mail, and I don't allow scripting from http://www.yahoo.com, only from mail.yahoo.com. I *think* that change was made before this incident, but there's a tiny possibility it might have been made in response to this issue. I'd have to dig through full-disk-image backups to see if I can pin down when I made that change. Montagar may have visited Yahoo or some sub-domain of it. Does he allow any scripting from Yahoo parent or subs?

I don't allow scripting from Google.com -- it's Untrusted -- so I'm at a loss.
I'm no longer at a loss.
It seems more and more certain one of the sites in your NS whitelist - probably Yahoo mail - was hacked. It also seems certain, since Monty doesn't use Yahoo Mail, that Google or another site he frequents was hacked. Finally, it seems certain Fx was hacked, unless JS can be used to execute files on a visitor's PC (see below).
Looks like we're up against a skilled black-hat or, more likely, a team of black-hats.
Giorgio Maone wrote:The worst of JavaScript is that if such a vulnerability can be exploited, it doesn't even need to install anything in order to compromise your system, since it's a programming language of itself.
Tom T. wrote:However, in this case, it *did* install something: a folder with several files, disguised as a Fx add-on, complete with "install.rdf" files and the <hidden> install tag. So I think computerfreaker's question was whether malicious JS could do that *without* exploiting a vuln -- which, as Giorgio points out, are common anyway.
I was wondering whether malicious JS could install - and execute - those files without exploiting a vuln. However, as I think about it, I'm not inclined to think JS could get away with that without exploiting a vuln...
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

computerfreaker wrote:Did you go to Yahoo mail?
I know that we're at almost 250 posts here, and the thread is almost two months old, but to refresh memories, yes, very early on I had said that the only three sites visited when it first showed up were Yahoo mail, this forum (probably not a suspect ;) ) and Google, the latter being only for the sake of reproducing it. Once having done so, I then went to Ask and Bing, but only for reproduction: the infection was already there. So yes, I've included the possibility that someone slipped one in on Yahoo *for a relatively brief period of time*, else more Yahoo users would have reported it -- and I would have gotten it again in the next browsing session, with a clean sandbox, when I checked my mail the next day.
computerfreaker wrote:I was following that same line with Montagar, but that's off per his latest post...
Actually, his latest post makes it easier. Without NS, he could have picked it up from *any site he visited*, at any time in the last ... six months? Year? He wouldn't have discovered it until the first of the following: His next attempt to visit any of the affected targets, seeing the redirection; or his installation of NS, then attempting to visit the targets, and seeing NS block it. So the whole universe of Montagar's browsing is possible.

Given that, I don't think we need to give the black-hats that much credit. It's not the first time any major site has had an exploit, including Google and Yahoo, and it won't be the last. Hundreds of thousands, or millions, of sites were hit by 318x infection (Google it if you like; just don't click the links) recently.

This is why I believe in defense in depth. I *must* trust mail.yahoo to use it... but *any* trusted site can be hit. Hence the 100%-sandbox approach, as well.
computerfreaker wrote:I was wondering whether malicious JS could install - and execute - those files without exploiting a vuln. However, as I think about it, I'm not inclined to think JS could get away with that without exploiting a vuln...
The JS wouldn't have to execute the files. Since they posed as a legit Fx add-on, *Firefox* would execute them. Or they'd be self-executing. Merely writing them is good enough -- and as Giorgio points out, at any given moment, there are undisclosed vulns in the process of being patched, plus unknown (to Mozilla or MS or anyone else) vulns being discovered by the wrong people. This was why RSnake said "The browser (ALL browsers) is fundamentally broken" -- and why NS + other layers are needed.

Here's another overly-simplistic analogy: Give me five minutes alone at your keyboard -- say, while you make a pit stop. I write a simple but malicious batch script and drop it directly into your "startup" folder, then leave. When you come back, you have no reason to believe anything's been tampered with; no visible evidence; everything runs normally. But unless you're in the habit of checking your startup folder before every shutdown, the next time you boot, you're going to be badly hosed. :twisted: :D I know this works, because I use exactly such a startup batch script to clean the "fungus" (accumulated, useless log files, etc.) off my puter at each boot.

So all the JS has to do is get the files on the machine, not execute them. Crude analogy, buy you get what I'm trying to say.

And now it's time to ask: Is it really worthwhile to continue to spend time trying to track down the source -- or hundreds of thousands of possible sources -- of this infection, when it's probably impossible (without some new sighting with more information)? We've all learned a lesson; SANS publicized it; and even if Giorgio Maone *could* track it, which he couldn't without a lot more information, I'd rather see him spending his time enhancing our future defenses rather than dissecting and tracking past malware. The bottom line is that *NS worked*. Wherever the infection came from, NS alerted the user and prevented it from executing. Scary, but no harm, no foul.

And I'll bet NoScript has made a lifelong user and advocate of Montagar. :)

Merry Christmas to all, and to this issue, good night? 8-)
computerfreaker

computerfreaker wrote:Did you go to Yahoo mail?
Tom T. wrote:I know that we're at almost 250 posts here, and the thread is almost two months old, but to refresh memories, yes, very early on I had said that the only three sites visited when it first showed up were Yahoo mail, this forum (probably not a suspect ;) ) and Google, the latter being only for the sake of reproducing it. Once having done so, I then went to Ask and Bing, but only for reproduction: the infection was already there. So yes, I've included the possibility that someone slipped one in on Yahoo *for a relatively brief period of time*, else more Yahoo users would have reported it -- and I would have gotten it again in the next browsing session, with a clean sandbox, when I checked my mail the next day.
Probably Yahoo mail... I doubt they'll admit it though.
computerfreaker wrote:I was following that same line with Montagar, but that's off per his latest post...
Tom T. wrote:Actually, his latest post makes it easier. Without NS, he could have picked it up from *any site he visited*, at any time in the last ... six months? Year?
That's why I figured that line was off with him - he wouldn't have any idea what site he got it from.
Tom T. wrote:He wouldn't have discovered it until the first of the following: His next attempt to visit any of the affected targets, seeing the redirection; or his installation of NS, then attempting to visit the targets, and seeing NS block it. So the whole universe of Montagar's browsing is possible.
yup.
Tom T. wrote:Given that, I don't think we need to give the black-hats that much credit. It's not the first time any major site has had an exploit, including Google and Yahoo, and it won't be the last. Hundreds of thousands, or millions, of sites were hit by 318x infection (Google it if you like; just don't click the links) recently.
318x isn't too pretty... Gumblar was worse though IMHO. But I digress...
Anyway, you're right; they didn't get quite as much as we had thought. They got one major site and that was probably it.
computerfreaker wrote:I was wondering whether malicious JS could install - and execute - those files without exploiting a vuln. However, as I think about it, I'm not inclined to think JS could get away with that without exploiting a vuln...
Tom T. wrote:The JS wouldn't have to execute the files. Since they posed as a legit Fx add-on, *Firefox* would execute them. Or they'd be self-executing. Merely writing them is good enough -- and as Giorgio points out, at any given moment, there are undisclosed vulns in the process of being patched, plus unknown (to Mozilla or MS or anyone else) vulns being discovered by the wrong people. This was why RSnake said "The browser (ALL browsers) is fundamentally broken" -- and why NS + other layers are needed.

Here's another overly-simplistic analogy: Give me five minutes alone at your keyboard -- say, while you make a pit stop. I write a simple but malicious batch script and drop it directly into your "startup" folder, then leave. When you come back, you have no reason to believe anything's been tampered with; no visible evidence; everything runs normally. But unless you're in the habit of checking your startup folder before every shutdown, the next time you boot, you're going to be badly hosed. :twisted: :D I know this works, because I use exactly such a startup batch script to clean the "fungus" (accumulated, useless log files, etc.) off my puter at each boot.

So all the JS has to do is get the files on the machine, not execute them. Crude analogy, buy you get what I'm trying to say.
yep, I get what you're saying. Not too pretty... then again, none of this has been.
Tom T. wrote:And now it's time to ask: Is it really worthwhile to continue to spend time trying to track down the source -- or hundreds of thousands of possible sources -- of this infection, when it's probably impossible (without some new sighting with more information)? We've all learned a lesson; SANS publicized it; and even if Giorgio Maone *could* track it, which he couldn't without a lot more information, I'd rather see him spending his time enhancing our future defenses rather than dissecting and tracking past malware. The bottom line is that *NS worked*. Wherever the infection came from, NS alerted the user and prevented it from executing. Scary, but no harm, no foul.
You're right, there's nothing more we can do unless somebody else reports this.
Tom T. wrote:And I'll bet NoScript has made a lifelong user and advocate of Montagar. :)
"It's an ill wind that blows no good", eh? :mrgreen:
Tom T. wrote:Merry Christmas to all, and to this issue, good night? 8-)
Agreed. :)
Please don't lock this, though; perhaps we'll get a new report or two.

Merry Christmas!
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

computerfreaker wrote:"It's an ill wind that blows no good", eh?
There's always something that can be learned from anything! :)
computerfreaker wrote:Please don't lock this, though; perhaps we'll get a new report or two.
Oh, definitely not locked. Just that Montagar, you, and I were the ones spending the most time on it; agreeing to let it go and concentrate on other things.
But if *anyone* sees the same infection *OR* the same modus operandi -- overlay.xul, <hidden> install tag, malicious redirection, "invisible" "Fx add-on", "Add-on window popping up mysteriously", etc. *please* report it!
computerfreaker wrote:Merry Christmas!
A) Merry Christmas!
B) Happy Hannukkah!
C) Joyous Kwanzaa!
D) (a little late for رمضان‎ ... Ramadan wishes)
E) (fill in the blank)
F) Generic: Peace, health, and joy to all! :)
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

Tom T. wrote:And I'll bet NoScript has made a lifelong user and advocate of Montagar. :)
Absolutely!
Tom T. wrote:Merry Christmas to all, and to this issue, good night? 8-)
Merry Christmas to all of you!

...and thanks to all that helped in solving this matter!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
wazup85

Post by wazup85 »

Im have a simaler issue but with mine its a script called supperfish.com when i go to search sites
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Tom T.
Field Marshal

BUMP: Strange script tries to run when connection is down

Post by Tom T. »

Interesting.

I was able to reproduce this - once each -- at Google and at AOL.com. NS shows supperfish.com in "recently blocked" scripts. But there is no website at either supperfish or www dot supperfish.

Pinged, and both come back to 207.69.131.9, a block allotted to Earthlink in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. But timed out after that (several hops).

Can't find "supperfish" anywhere on the machine. Wish I'd let it run (sandboxed). Having closed the sandbox and emptied all contents, I figured I could go back to Google or AOL and allow it this time. But it doesn't show up in "recently blocked" any more.

No evidence on this machine of anything by that name, including Registry, but then, Sandboxie wouldn't let it write to anywhere on the hard drive.

Done with an obsolete browser. Will try to reproduce with a newer one.

What sites do you get this, and which ones don't show it? Have you scanned for viruses?
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: BUMP: Strange script tries to run when connection is dow

Post by Tom T. »

Nope. Can't get it to show on a visit to those sites with a Fx 3.x browser. Even tried changing IPs, in case it was "trained" to try to run only once on a given IP, to help stay under the radar. No show.

Does this happen every time you visit these sites? Are you comfortable with virtualized environments? If so, then you could go to those sites with a virtual browser (I use Sandboxie, but that's personal choice only; not an endorsement by this forum), temporarily allow the script, and see if, e. g., it redirects you someplace. If it does, note that address, but I'd not let any scripting run from the redirected landing place; just tell us the URL.

Also, you can get the Fx add-on JSView, and if you can get the script to run, click the JSView icon in the lower right, click on the supperfish script in the menu, copy and paste the contents of that script into a text document, then post them here. Giorgio will have no trouble diagnosing that, I'm sure.

@ Giorgio: I don't have any more ideas, so I think it's yours from here on, unless another Mod finds something I didn't. TIA.

Edit: Web search for "supperfish" comes back with nothing pertinent.