a few partially allowed icon issues

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: a few partially allowed icon issues

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@al9_x:
Sorry for the late answer. When you posted this topic I had very big fishes to fry (trying to put an ABE stable version out of the door) and I'm not done yet, thanks to the Gecko HTTP request pipeline which makes doing everything right very difficult and hackish.

So I mentally marked both your reports as "low priority", but forgot to comment as I should.

I'll try to fix both the bugs either in the upcoming stable or, more likely, in the first dev build which follows.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
al_9x
Master Bug Buster

Post by al_9x »

Giorgio Maone wrote:@al9_x:
Sorry for the late answer. When you posted this topic I had very big fishes to fry (trying to put an ABE stable version out of the door) and I'm not done yet, thanks to the Gecko HTTP request pipeline which makes doing everything right very difficult and hackish.

So I mentally marked both your reports as "low priority", but forgot to comment as I should.

I'll try to fix both the bugs either in the upcoming stable or, more likely, in the first dev build which follows.
Thanks,

Yes definitely low priority, just wanted to make sure you knew and could repro them.

What do you think about the icon indicating that all scripts are allowed (different color overlay for blocked objects is one way)? Here is one scenario where this info is useful:

You go to a site, where you have allowed all scripts and you want to be alerted if that's no longer the case so you can open the menu and investigate and possibly allow the new dependency. If blocked objects produce the same partial icon you no longer can tell at a glance if all scripts are allowed or not.

To generalize, there is a conceptual difference between blocked objects and scripts. A blocked script (when the common ones are blacklisted) often implies loss of some page functionality so you want to icon to alert you. A blocked object (which is typically represented by a placeholder) on the other hand does not typically imply loss of functionality, so you almost don't care or at least care less. So the visual cues for the two cases should not be conflated.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

al_9x wrote:
Giorgio Maone wrote:@al9_x:
To generalize, there is a conceptual difference between blocked objects and scripts. A blocked script (when the common ones are blacklisted) often implies loss of some page functionality so you want to icon to alert you. A blocked object (which is typically represented by a placeholder) on the other hand does not typically imply loss of functionality, so you almost don't care or at least care less. So the visual cues for the two cases should not be conflated.
I can see your point in differentiating, even though there are several pages where Flash or Java is mandatory (thing about movie/game sites).
However using different colors is not feasible, because it would hurt accessibility for the color blind.
And a new icon set which accounts for the different combos it's not easy to make in 16x16 pixels...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
al_9x
Master Bug Buster

Post by al_9x »

Giorgio Maone wrote:However using different colors is not feasible, because it would hurt accessibility for the color blind.
I don't follow, for the colorblind it will just stay as it is now, no differentiation, they won't be any worse off.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

al_9x wrote:I don't follow, for the colorblind it will just stay as it is now, no differentiation, they won't be any worse off.
http://www.inflection-point.com/jokes/11.htm
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11
nagan

Post by nagan »

Giorgio Maone wrote: I can see your point in differentiating, even though there are several pages where Flash or Java is mandatory (thing about movie/game sites).
However using different colors is not feasible, because it would hurt accessibility for the color blind.
And a new icon set which accounts for the different combos it's not easy to make in 16x16 pixels...
But always there is a placeholder ,which would give out a clue.
Dreams are REAL possibilities. Pursue them with zest and you can make them HAPPEN!
You are GOD.Realize THAT!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Both the bugs reported in the OP are fixed in 1.9.5 stable :)
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Tom T. wrote: I have often asked when the blue icon at a trusted site will change color for a blocked sub-object from that site, particularly the sub-objects for uploading attachments and downloading attachments at Yahoo Classic Mail. If it's happened, it must be only F3, but I don't believe it's happened. Not talking plugins or third-party stuff, just a green (in the NS menu) "Blocked Object" from *@http.attach.XXX.mail.yahoo.com. I know this now, but it's got to be confusing a lot of less-knowledgeable users. Sure, they should click the menu, but since the logo is solid blue (all scripting is either w/l or untrusted), there's no cue to do so.
Hurray! It now works in F2! Grazie, Capo! :D
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard