Script permissions are not storing for sites

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
NateofCA

Script permissions are not storing for sites

Post by NateofCA »

Hi. I'm using Firefox version 18.0.2 on Windows XP Pro. NoScript add-on version is ver. 2.6.4.4. NoScript is not remembering script permissions for some websites such as Facebook and my bank. I removed it and re-installed to see if that would fix the problem but it still exist. When I shut down Firefox and re-start it I had to allow those sites again. Gets old. I looked around for some option I need to set, or un-set, and didn't find anything obvious. Thanks for your help and for this cool tool.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: Script permissions are not storing for sites

Post by Tom T. »

Only for some sites, but will store for others?

If it won't store for any, do you run the browser sandboxed or virtualized, and/or do you have write permissions to prefs.js file and your profile in general?

If only for some sites: Please create a clean profile from scratch. Install only NoScript, leaving all the defaults.
Does the problem still exist? If not, NoScript is not the culprit.

Try adding back your extensions, one at a time, until you find the one that causes the issue.
Then remove all the others, pairing only the suspected one with NoScript, to confirm that the remaining one is the issue.
If the problem is solved even with all add-ons reinstalled, then the previous profile was probably corrupt. Problem solved.

Let us know, thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0.2
NateofCA

Post by NateofCA »

Thanks for fast reply. No I'm not running Firefox sandboxed or virtualized. I don't even know how to set it up to do either of those. Also I don't know whether I have write permissions to prefs.js or not and I don't know where to go change those permissions either. I am admin on this machine and I install Firefox and them NoScript the same way I have done on other machines I have without problem of the NoScript permissions being lost. I think I might have a clue about what has happened not though. On this machine with the NoScript permission problems I tried to set up Syncing for Firefox so I could sync my bookmarks and add-ins with other machines. The thing that tipped me off about that is every time I start Firefox now it wants to check the compatibility of my Add-ons. I unlinked the account to the sync which turned it off but when I start Firefox it still wants to check the Add-ons compatibility. Also the NoScript sync problem still exist. By the way; I suspect NoScript will not save permissions for any sites. I guess I will fiddle with a few more settings and see what happens but fortunately I have other machines I can use on the net to get around this issue until I eventually figure it out. Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

NateofCA wrote:Thanks for fast reply. No I'm not running Firefox sandboxed or virtualized. I don't even know how to set it up to do either of those.
You would need a third-party program to do that. I just had to eliminate the possibility.
Also I don't know whether I have write permissions to prefs.js or not and I don't know where to go change those permissions either. I am admin on this machine
If you are admin, you have the permissions.
I think I might have a clue about what has happened not though. On this machine with the NoScript permission problems I tried to set up Syncing for Firefox so I could sync my bookmarks and add-ins with other machines.
From what I've seen and heard, Sync is a big headache. I've never tried it, and from the sound of it, don't care to.
The thing that tipped me off about that is every time I start Firefox now it wants to check the compatibility of my Add-ons.
That should happen only after Firefox has been updated. When it updates, do you allow it to go to the Mozilla web site (firewall permission, etc.) to confirm the update was successful, etc.? I've found that if you don't, it keeps trying to go there at each start until you finally let it.

Or that too is something else that is not being saved -- the fact that you *did* let the update Welcome (or whatever) screen run. Which would be a Firefox issue, not a NoScript issue. Try a clean profile as previously recommended. It is not unusual for profiles to become corrupt, and perhaps messing with Sync on and off etc. had a hand in that.
By the way; I suspect NoScript will not save permissions for any sites.
Rather than suspect, it's easy enough to test. Go to a new, but presumably trustworthy, site, such as a bank at which you do *not* have an account. Allow their script permanently (whitelist), close the browser, restart, go back to the bank, and see if you're prompted again. Perhaps try this once or twice more at other similar trusted places. Then you know whether it's just certain sites or all sites.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0.2
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

NateofCA wrote:On this machine with the NoScript permission problems I tried to set up Syncing for Firefox so I could sync my bookmarks and add-ins with other machines.
Yeah, you don't want to do that.

Search this forum for 'firefox sync' and you'll find people with problems. It's not the fault of NoScript; Sync doesn't work well. Don't. Just don't. Use some other method, like Dropbox (or your choice of cloud storage) or just copying onto a USB drive.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0