a few partially allowed icon issues

Bug reports and enhancement requests
al_9x
Master Bug Buster

a few partially allowed icon issues

Post by al_9x »

It seems that the intended behavior for a page with scripts allowed but some blocked objects is to show the partially allowed icon with a small red forbidden sign overlay on the bottom right. Is that correct? I think it would be helpful if the icon differentiated the blocked objects from scripts partially allowed case, perhaps by making the forbidden overlay a different color, like yellow, in the blocked objects case.
  1. in ff2 http://support.dlink.com/emulators/dgl4100/ shows the all allowed icon despite the blocked flash
  2. if a page has blocked objects and all scripts split between allowed and untrusted, the icon will be "all allowed with untrusted" and not have the red overlay
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
al_9x
Master Bug Buster

Re: a few partially allowed icon issues

Post by al_9x »

Giorgio,

Please acknowledge and comment
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

al_9x wrote:It seems that the intended behavior for a page with scripts allowed but some blocked objects is to show the partially allowed icon with a small red forbidden sign overlay on the bottom right. Is that correct? I think it would be helpful if the icon differentiated the blocked objects from scripts partially allowed case, perhaps by making the forbidden overlay a different color, like yellow, in the blocked objects case.
Without denigrating al_9x's preference, I find it useful exactly the way it is, i.e. the "small red forbidden sign overlay on the bottom right" indicates that some active content is being blocked, without attempting to communicate what kind of content is being blocked. I can see exactly what's being blocked with the NS menu. I usually don't bother looking there unless the page doesn't seem to be working correctly.
in ff2 http://support.dlink.com/emulators/dgl4100/ shows the all allowed icon despite the blocked flash
Works for me in Fx 3, NS 1.9.3.8. Must be a Fx 2 issue.
al_9x wrote:if a page has blocked objects and all scripts split between allowed and untrusted, the icon will be "all allowed with untrusted" and not have the red overlay
Problem confirmed. I would like it to have the "small red forbidden sign overlay on the bottom right". The blocking of a site with "untrusted" status isn't important info for the status bar icon unless it's the only thing being blocked.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
al_9x
Master Bug Buster

Post by al_9x »

Alan Baxter wrote:I find it useful exactly the way it is
Blocked objects are usually represented by placeholders, the red overlay makes it seem like there are blocked scripts as well. If the overlay indicated that there were no blocked scripts but only objects with a different color, that would be useful info and don't think would bother anyone.
Alan Baxter wrote:
al_9x wrote:if a page has blocked objects and all scripts split between allowed and untrusted, the icon will be "all allowed with untrusted" and not have the red overlay
Problem confirmed. I would like it to have the "small red forbidden sign overlay on the bottom right". The blocking of a site with "untrusted" status isn't important info for the status bar icon unless it's the only thing being blocked.
There is no need to lose information in the icon, you could retain the "all script allowed with some untrusted" icon and add the different color overlay to indicate blocked objects.
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

al_9x wrote:
Alan Baxter wrote:I find it useful exactly the way it is
Blocked objects are usually represented by placeholders,
There are many cases where there is no placeholder, and others where the placeholder is off the screen. Having the current icon also include blocked objects was a frequently requested change, and a welcome one. All I have to do now to see if any active content has been blocked, including JavaScript, is look at the icon.
the red overlay makes it seem like there are blocked scripts as well.
It used to mean that, but it doesn't anymore.
If the overlay indicated that there were no blocked scripts but only objects with a different color, that would be useful info and don't think would bother anyone.
It wouldn't bother me, but I think it could confuse many people.

Edit: The description of Image on the features page is obsolete. http://noscript.net/features#basics
It should be changed to something like:
# Partially Allowed Icon - this means scripts are allowed for the top-level (main) document, but there is some other active content which is not allowed yet.
Giorgio might come up with a better description.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090403 SeaMonkey/1.1.16
nagan

Post by nagan »

I personally believe the icon should be related to only scripts. Adding extensions to it gives a different perception. I have "block plugins" from trusted sites too.Inevitably the red overlay is present even for sites with all the scripts allowed. I presume I understood the issue here.
Dreams are REAL possibilities. Pursue them with zest and you can make them HAPPEN!
You are GOD.Realize THAT!
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

nagan wrote:I personally believe the icon should be related to only scripts. Adding extensions to it gives a different perception. I have "block plugins" from trusted sites too.Inevitably the red overlay is present even for sites with all the scripts allowed. I presume I understood the issue here.
Alan Baxter wrote:Having the current icon also include blocked objects was a frequently requested change, and a welcome one.
I have often asked when the blue icon at a trusted site will change color for a blocked sub-object from that site, particularly the sub-objects for uploading attachments and downloading attachments at Yahoo Classic Mail. If it's happened, it must be only F3, but I don't believe it's happened. Not talking plugins or third-party stuff, just a green (in the NS menu) "Blocked Object" from *@http.attach.XXX.mail.yahoo.com. I know this now, but it's got to be confusing a lot of less-knowledgeable users. Sure, they should click the menu, but since the logo is solid blue (all scripting is either w/l or untrusted), there's no cue to do so.

This has been promised several times and a number of versions ago; you (Alan) supported me on it at the old forum and here, and I'm not seeing it yet. Any ideas if it's in the pipeline?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Tom T. wrote:This has been promised several times and a number of versions ago; you (Alan) supported me on it at the old forum and here, and I'm not seeing it yet. Any ideas if it's in the pipeline?
The requested change was made a while back. It's great that a solid blue S means no objects are being blocked either, i.e. nothing is being blocked; I don't need to keep clicking on the NoScript icon to check. Much more convenient.

I hadn't realized the change doesn't have any effect in Fx 2. I just fired up a Fx 2/NoScript test profile and verified it does not have any affect in Fx 2. Sorry. Maybe it's time to try Fx 3 again. Perhaps we could help you set it up. Is it an incompatible extension problem?
Last edited by Alan Baxter on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Alan Baxter wrote:I hadn't realized the change doesn't have any effect in Fx 2. I just fired up a Fx 2/NoScript test profile and verified it does not have any affect in Fx 2. Sorry. Maybe it's time to try Fx 3 again. Perhaps we could help you set it up. Is it an imcompatible extension problem?
It's that I dislike it for many reasons, the core issue being that Fx used to be the leader, forcing MS to play "catch-up" and "me-too", incompetently. Now Fx is chasing IE in making things snazzier and jazzier at the expense of clean function, simplicity, and appearance. (E. g., what does "places" do that prefs.js didn't accomplish, other than render my sync post obsolete and complicate the process? I don't *want* my "places" stored on my puter; I go to a great deal of trouble to make sure they're not, clearing private data every time, etc.) I've seen the term "awful bar" a number of times around the web. I tried using some of the "fixes" to "make 3 look and act like 2", but it seemed it would be hours and hours of many add-ons, swelling the program size, and some of the promised appearance changes didn't happen. E. g., the boomark favicons and url icons did not go away. I'm sure there's a tweak, but I decided this was a ridiculous waste of time. So rather than take all that time to try to make 3 be 2, I'll just use 2. Thanks for the offer. (Plus I can see "invisible" link spam! :D )

Giorgio has kindly kept NS F2-friendly as much as possible. This is the first significant issue that hasn't been so. If it's fixed in F3, then I guess it's not a problem for most users as I thought it would be. Those of us who choose to stay with F2 (no "L-word", please, enough already) are probably aware of the issue. And for F2 users who have NS issues, perhaps there's some benefit in having a team member who uses 2 exclusively? ... I wish there were reliable statistics on how many 2s are still running. I'll bet it's more than anyone expects. (the Mozilla threads on the issue were numerous and vitriolic).

@Giorgio: Would it be too much trouble to make this change F2-friendly? -- the icon change for blocked sub-object from trusted domain, e. g. Yahoo Mail + attachment sub-object. If so, TIA. If not, no sweat. Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
nagan

Post by nagan »

Why can't another overlay be designed for objects only which will give an indication of the objects only like fully blocked ,partial or completely allowed?
Dreams are REAL possibilities. Pursue them with zest and you can make them HAPPEN!
You are GOD.Realize THAT!
al_9x
Master Bug Buster

Post by al_9x »

Giorgio or Mods,

This thread was started 11 days ago with two bug reports and a suggestion. Since Giorgio is the sole dev (AFAIK), naturally, they are meant for him. Why does he not reply?
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

I think I understand your concern. Giorgio usually acknowledges your postings. Without even a reply from him, you can't tell he's even seen it. You could always PM him or post a new topic asking him to reply here.

Since the bugs occur only in Fx 2, and I (mildly) disagree with the feature request, I have no interest in escalating it myself. Anyhow, I don't have any special way to get his attention that you don't have.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11
al_9x
Master Bug Buster

Post by al_9x »

Alan Baxter wrote:Since the bugs occur only in Fx 2
not the second one
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

al_9x wrote:
Alan Baxter wrote:Since the bugs occur only in Fx 2
not the second one
You're right. It's been a week since I confirmed it in Fx 3.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11