Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby Webcrawler » Sun May 03, 2009 10:53 am

This is what i wrote at ADBLOCKPLUS blog.Giorgio you made a mistake you accepted it and that is a good move.Some may forgive you some may not but we all made mistakes :)



I never knew this one.I thought he has a skilled to displayed ads on his site although i used ABP.

He has fixed it; he did it wrong.Can we forgive him?? Money is so powerful these days.

Many wrong assumptions about us (ABP users) that we dont want ads displayed at ALL.We would like to support a site that we like but we would like the ADS to be non-intrusive and polite ;-).That was something Gorgio missed and did something terribly wrong to ABP and its users.

In the end thanks to Wladamir for the information and thanks again for ABP.


Also i thank you Giorgio for NoScript.Keep going good luck.Remember money is important but fairness is what counts. ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042513 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.10
Webcrawler
 

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby Username: » Sun May 03, 2009 10:53 am

just add the same feature in noscript : an add blocker
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; fr; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Username:
 

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby Unamused » Sun May 03, 2009 11:14 am

I do have to append the following comments:

1) If I had knowledge sufficient to fork this or pore over the code - I would. I've lost a bit of trust, just not enough to sufficiently feel I must uninstall NoScript. (I don't know if I'd ever release the fork online, because I don't really keep up with constant security bulletins, sooo.)

2) Both sides are in the wrong here. (The 2 day delay on Ares side, not .. optin coding, which was apparently supposed to be (Fixed) in 1.9.2.4)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/20090423 Firefox/3.5b4
Unamused
 

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby IgnoranceIndicatorMa » Sun May 03, 2009 11:18 am

http://imgur.com/2TmRe.png

*end of ps of crashed firefox*

this I will use my unrelated add on to stop them!!! It's totally their fault too when they try and do what their add on is supposed to do.



Hey, I doubt there will be an answer to me, I mean it's seemed like some pretty good selective answering by G so far.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
IgnoranceIndicatorMa
 

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby Guest » Sun May 03, 2009 11:23 am

Since Version 1.9.2.6 you say:
"NoScript 1.9.2.6 completely removes the filterset itself, if found there, on startup with no questions asked."
But I necessarily need the filterset.

I have a page on the Whitelist (in ABP&NoScript), but now the site does not any longer work...it is a serious german Pay-Site (http://marc.klamm.de).
After over 8 years being a satisfied member of that page...now nothing works any longer :cry:
What can I do?
I would like to use ABP&NoScript...

Thanks and greets from Germany!

Marc
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Guest
 

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby Guest » Sun May 03, 2009 11:29 am

Another question:
Since Version 1.9.2.6 you say:
"NoScript 1.9.2.6 completely removes the filterset itself, if found there, on startup with no questions asked."

Which filterset is removed?
The filterset of NoScript or the filterset of AdBlockPlus?!
As I said above I would prefer a functionally filterset...not a removed filterset!

But if nothing works I have to uninstall ABP and/or NoScript :sad:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Guest
 

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby Gerard » Sun May 03, 2009 11:33 am

To all you big mouths out here: U never made a mistake? Never did anything u ought to be ashamed for?
U all holy or what? Come on, u aren't anything better then us all.
So, he did something he shouldn't have. Tha's right, I'll bet he will learn from this experience and undoubtedly will do better in future. But all this crap about not trusting him any longer is complete bullshit.
Stop it, either remove the addon and walk on or leave it there sitting on your system and don't pretend you are somehow a much better person then all of us. You are not in church and you are impressing nobody with your attitudes.
Hell, it's for free, u don't like it, get rid of it.
Otherwise, shut the fuck up! :evil:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Gerard
 

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby Giorgio Maone » Sun May 03, 2009 12:00 pm

@Guest (Marc):
the removed filterset has nothing to do with your site not working. Please post a new topic in the NoScript Support forum, and we'll be glad of helping you.

@IgnoranceIndicatorMa:
Here's a link to why I feel what I did was not right.
I'm also trying to write a blog post, but I'm quite behind because of the mail backlog (I never left a NoScript email unanswered, the fact most of them are not very kind these day doesn't change that)...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
User avatar
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7328
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:22 pm
Location: Palermo - Italy

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby Tester » Sun May 03, 2009 12:06 pm

Guest wrote:I'll say this as straightforward as I can: You are a child who doesn't understand a thing outside of the world your parents paint for you. Grow a pair and grow up before you start opening your mouth.

Sounds like a good advice... for yourself. ;O)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Tester
 

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby Marcus » Sun May 03, 2009 12:09 pm

NoScript is rightly marked as untrusted by many Users. Mozilla should remove it from AMO.

@Gerard

If you ever installed a Program wich contains a Virus, Malware or a Trojan, will you install it again?
Gerard wrote:Otherwise, shut the fuck up! :evil:

Check your Language!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/20090423 Firefox/3.5b4
Marcus
 

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby YetAnotherGuest » Sun May 03, 2009 12:16 pm

I see that tempers are still running high in this thread. Time to cool off, eh? I'm still using NoScript, but I have reverted to version 1.9.1.91.

The bad: Loss of trust in the developers of NoScript.
The good: The NoScript code will be peer-reviewed like nothing else.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
YetAnotherGuest
 

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby Giorgio Maone » Sun May 03, 2009 12:30 pm

YetAnotherGuest wrote:I see that tempers are still running high in this thread. Time to cool off, eh? I'm still using NoScript, but I have reverted to version 1.9.1.91.

You'd better upgrade to 1.9.2.6. It contains features and bug fixed, and has reviewed by AMO before publishing.
The good: The NoScript code will be peer-reviewed like nothing else.

It has already been for some time, by Wladimir too. In facts my code was not "obfuscated" to hide it from peers, opposite to what has been said here and there.
However I'm very happy to have more eyes on my code, as much as I'm sorry I made it happen this way.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
User avatar
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7328
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:22 pm
Location: Palermo - Italy

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby Guest » Sun May 03, 2009 12:30 pm

Giorgio Maone wrote:@Guest (Marc):
the removed filterset has nothing to do with your site not working. Please post a new topic in the NoScript Support forum, and we'll be glad of helping you.

@IgnoranceIndicatorMa:
Here's a link to why I feel what I did was not right.
I'm also trying to write a blog post, but I'm quite behind because of the mail backlog (I never left a NoScript email unanswered, the fact most of them are not very kind these day doesn't change that)...

Okay, I missed the post. You did answer about the "ob".
I think thats all I have to say, I've put NS on my whitelist for ABP, something I would of done if asked. Just a quick question because while the link you sent me talks about what you thought was wrong about what you did I would like to ask. Do you feel that readerss should read all changelogs on all their products? And do you? Its more rhetorical then anything ,but your post with the apology feels like a slap in the face to a lot of people because of that. Agree, disagree I think this is a valid criticism. You have your reddit account so you can check out what they think there.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Guest
 

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby Curious Inquiry » Sun May 03, 2009 1:05 pm

My 2 cents and a question.

1) Putting the blame (or part of the blame) for this on Ares2 is imo quite dishonest.
People that have ABP installed (me included) expect it to block ads and tracking (Cedric´s tracking filter et al).
And if someone tries to work around this filters, I for my part am grateful that people like Ares2 and others try to block specifically the site trying to do this. If it is my decision to block ads, and someone tries to break my fences I find it completely justified to hit his fingers with a wooden hammer. If the site does not work anymore, well their fault, play fair and it will !!
(Just like I find it obnoxious behavior to put flash cookies on peoples computers because they delete (or don't accept) normal cookies, hoping that they won't notice and continue tracking them.)
If the site working around the filters would have been amazon or google or yahoo or some such, would you even think of telling Ares2 to back off, or would you applaud him for his good work?
noscript .net and Giorgios other sites are in no way different.

2) I understand that Giorgio needs or wants some revenue (from ads or whatever). Just explain it on the homepage, ask people to load a whitelist and respect their decisions. Otherwise I don't see any ethical difference to those I installed ABP against in the first place.
Giorgio needs to make a living, yes he does. On the same argument the ad companies also live from advertising, shouldn't they also be excluded from the filters?
About braking ABP and installing lists that can not be deleted, there has been a lot said here to what I wholeheartedly agree and don't want to repeat. Considering the ethical implications alone ...., well it's staggering.

3) The new versions of noscript eliminates this. Ok, the least to expected. An apology and an explanation (in the heat of the fight, etc). Not really convincing, but well ... maybe understandable.

Then I visited noscript.net, added it to the whitelist, and found something I did not expect.
ghostery was not working like it should. It was red, but no display. So i looked around an found this :
#__ghosteryfirefox {
display: none !important;
}

in file http://software.informaction.com/data/oss.css.

And that's where my question comes in.
directly @ Giorgio
Why do you block ghostery's display ?
ghostery does not block your ads, it does not break your page and it does not impair functionality.
It just informs visitors about tracking scripts on the page.
Are you trying to stop an easy way to let visitors know who's tracking them?

Why should you do this?
Somehow it casts doubts about the sincerity of your apology.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Curious Inquiry
 

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Postby Giorgio Maone » Sun May 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Guest wrote:Do you feel that readerss should read all changelogs on all their products? And do you? Its more rhetorical then anything ,but your post with the apology feels like a slap in the face to a lot of people because of that.

The apology comes together with the release notes page, opened automatically when you install or update NoScript.
If they read the apology, they should have read also the announcement of the filterset (it was in the same box).
And yes, I read the changelog of any product I upgrade, even for those for which I need to go manually to the relevant page.
BTW, since some there also suggested that NoScript was too simple to require so many update, why didn't just check the changelog (or the code, for who's capable to)?

@Curious Inquiry
Looks like this thread is becoming too long to be useful, maybe splitting it in "historical discussion pre-Wladimir", "slashdot fallbacks" and "answers to legitimate concerns" would help:
viewtopic.php?p=3133#p3133
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
User avatar
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7328
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:22 pm
Location: Palermo - Italy

PreviousNext

Return to NoScript General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests