CBC and viafoura issue

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
gordo999

CBC and viafoura issue

Post by gordo999 »

I have been having problems with user comments on CBC.ca news articles for some time. Tonight I noticed that I could not login to cbc.ca so I cleared the Firefox cache and cookies. Still no log in. I could press the login button but no response.

The real problem, however, was that I could not see the user comments facility on CBC news articles provided by viafoura. I knew it was related to Firefox because I could see the comments section in IExplorer 11, 64 bit.

I already had NoScript disabled but I have seen issues in the past where an antivirus program was disabled and still interfering. So I removed NoScript. Voila...my login button came back and the viafoura comments section returned.

I don't know if this is related, but I had been experiencing slow loading with tsn.ca, and flash player was crashing. I had already degraded Firefox from ver 27.0.1 to 25.0.1, to get flash player to work. It required a complete uninstall of ver 27.

Since I removed NoScript, tsn.ca is loading a lot faster and flash player now works fine.

I have no idea why NoScript should have that kind of effect.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0
barbaz

Re: CBC and viafoura issue

Post by barbaz »

gordo999 wrote:I already had NoScript disabled but I have seen issues in the past where an antivirus program was disabled and still interfering. So I removed NoScript. Voila...my login button came back and the viafoura comments section returned.
???
What do you mean by "disable" NoScript?
gordo999 wrote:flash player was crashing. I had already degraded Firefox from ver 27.0.1 to 25.0.1, to get flash player to work. It required a complete uninstall of ver 27.

Since I removed NoScript, tsn.ca is loading a lot faster and flash player now works fine.

I have no idea why NoScript should have that kind of effect.
I think this is actually a Flash issue. Downgrading Flash to latest available 11.2 should help.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0 SeaMonkey/2.24
gordo999

Post by gordo999 »

barbaz wrote:What do you mean by "disable" NoScript?
I go into the Ad-Ons window, in Firefox, under extensions, and disable it.
barbaz wrote:I think this is actually a Flash issue. Downgrading Flash to latest available 11.2 should help.
Tried all that. The only way I could get Flash to run at all was degrading Firefox to version 25.

Besides, there is a more pressing issue than flash player. The CBC.ca comments section is run by viafoura and the user comments facility does not show up when NoScript is running. I have viafoura in the whitelist and I have enabled the entire page.

If I simply disable NoScript, the viafoura comments section is still not available and flash does not work. If I uninstall NoScript then both the comments section and flash return.

This does not happen on all news articles. Some of them still have the comments section. However, I have noticed the comments missing and gone to IExplorer 11, 64 bit, and found the comments and flash both working. IE does not have NoScript running, only Firefox.

That's what made me suspect NoScript. Once I uninstalled it on a CBC page where the comments were not there prior to unistalling it, the comments were back, along with flash.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

gordo999 wrote:I go into the Ad-Ons window, in Firefox, under extensions, and disable it.
And you are selecting "Yes, remove ALL protections" on the confirmation dialog?
gordo999 wrote:The CBC.ca comments section is run by viafoura and the user comments facility does not show up when NoScript is running. I have viafoura in the whitelist and I have enabled the entire page.

If I simply disable NoScript, the viafoura comments section is still not available and flash does not work. If I uninstall NoScript then both the comments section and flash return.
When comments don't appear, are there any related messages in the Browser Console? (Ctrl-Shift-J)

If not, probably something else is messing up your profile. As a test, please try creating a new profile, installing only latest development build of NoScript *and leaving all default settings as-is*. If the comments and Flash are both working there, your best bet is Standard Diagnostic (but leaving NoScript enabled) on your normal profile.

Please let us know the results, thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0 SeaMonkey/2.24
ferrico

Post by ferrico »

It may or may not be the problem for everyone, but I, too, noticed user comments recently stopped displaying on CBC pages.

Just took a wild stab at Firefox (ver 28.0) settings, un-ticking the box "Block pop-up windows" under Tools / Options / Content Tab...

VOILA! Comments are displayed again...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

I was having the same issue so I contacted Viafoura support yesterday. It turned out that Viafoura's interface was only loading half way because I had removed all languages from Tools -> Options -> Content -> Languages. I added one language back in and Viafoura started loading in full.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Oscar wrote:I was having the same issue so I contacted Viafoura support yesterday. It turned out that Viafoura's interface was only loading half way because I had removed all languages from Tools -> Options -> Content -> Languages. I added one language back in and Viafoura started loading in full.
I received an update from Viafoura today that they have addressed the issue of interface not loading fully when a language is not set in user's browser.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
Milwaukee

Post by Milwaukee »

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel also having problems with Viafoura

AVAST antivirus warns Malware faking Adobe Flash not up to date

VIAFOURA IS SPREADING MALWARE
GET RID OF IT
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Milwaukee wrote:VIAFOURA IS SPREADING MALWARE
GET RID OF IT
YOU'RE BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE
ALSO WE DON'T TAKE KINDLY TO BEING ORDERED AROUND
-
ali1946

Post by ali1946 »

Viafoura has been named as an illicit user of my password to sign in on Google. Do not trust this company
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

ali1946 wrote:Viafoura has been named as an illicit user of my password to sign in on Google. Do not trust this company
Thank you for letting us know.
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

This thread appears to have devolved into a general Viafoura discussion/complaint thread. That is way outside the scope of the "NoScript Support" forum, or anywhere on this board for that matter.

Locking
-