Allow scripts by domain, only on that domain

Bug reports and enhancement requests
haku

Allow scripts by domain, only on that domain

Post by haku »

First off, I love noscript. One of the best plugins out there, and I recommend it to everybody. Very good. Thank you to the developer(s?) for putting together this awesome plugin.

I'd like to request a new feature for noscript however. Right now, noscript allows for allowing/forbidding scripts by the domain that script is linked to. For the most part this is good, however it would be nice to have a feature whereby scripts would be allowed for a particular domain, but only on the domain that you are currently looking at.

Specifically, I'm thinking of Facebook. In order to use Facebook, their scripts have to be allowed. This is fine by me. But what bothers me, is that I go to CNN, and it is giving me recommendations on stories my FB friends liked. It is able to do this because I have allowed facebook scripts. So it would be nice if I were able to allow FB scripts, but only on facebook.com (and other sites on which I may decide I want to let them know my data). As it stands right now, I have to allow FB scripts while I'm on FB, but then forbid them before I go to other sites.

Hopefully you can implement this feature sometime in the future. Thank you.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.17) Gecko/20110420 Firefox/3.6.17 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C)
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Re: Allow scripts by domain, only on that domain

Post by Alan Baxter »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
Lucas Malor

Post by Lucas Malor »

Ok... so if I want to do what haku asked (and I want), can I do:

Code: Select all

Site ALL
Deny INCLUSION
and after this add, for example:

Site .gstatic
Accept from ALL
?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Lucas Malor wrote:Ok... so if I want to do what haku asked (and I want), can I do:

Site ALL
Deny INCLUSION
and after this add, for example:

Site .gstatic
Accept from ALL
?
The opposite.
Whichever rule in a ruleset matches first, prevents rules below from being parsed.
Therefore if your intent is allowing .gstatic.com to be included everywhere, and any other inclusion to be denied, you should use

Site .gstatic.com
Accept

Site *
Accept from SELF++
Deny INCLUSION
Notice that
  • You don't need "from ALL", it's implied
  • Site * matches any site
  • Unless you want *any* inclusion to be banned (even from the same site) you need to insert "Accept from SELF++" (i.e. accept from the same domain or subdomains or parent domains) before the final Deny.
Hope it helps.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1