[SOLVED] Firefox 29 hangs after closing

Bug reports and enhancement requests
TheExplorer

[SOLVED] Firefox 29 hangs after closing

Post by TheExplorer »

Hello, everyone

I'v found a bug/regression running a newly installed Firefox 29: the browser hangs after installing NoScript with multiple instances of Firefox already running.

Steps to reproduce:

1) The browser is installed from the official Mozilla tarball into /opt directory on my Debian Wheezy (stable) box. The system is 32 bit. Java version: 7u45.
2) There is no profile at all. A fresh start.
3) Install NoScript, the browser asks to restart. Restart.
4) You may not do anything, just close Firefox with X button. (after installing NoScript I do some tweaking in its settings like switching off "Show message about blocked scripts" for e.g, but it's not necessary I guess).
5) Fire up Firefox again => a dialog appears "Firefox cannot start. It is already running".
6) Use htop to see that there are multiple instances of Firefox already running.

P.S. NoScript icon is a bit twisted/squeezed in the navigation panel if I switch off the option "Open permissions menu when mouse hovers over NoScript's icon".

Sorry if the issue is already posted here on the forum. Well, I didn't see it.

Thank you.
Alex
Last edited by TheExplorer on Fri May 02, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
John99

Re: Problem with new Firefox 29

Post by John99 »

What makes you think this is a NoScript issue ?

You say

1) The browser is installed from the official Mozilla tarball into /opt directory on my Debian Wheezy (stable) box. The system is 32 bit. Java version: 7u45.
2) There is no profile at all. A fresh start.
3) Install NoScript, the browser asks to restart. Restart.

So if it is a new install with no preexisting profile Firerfox will not have NoScript installed.

5) Fire up Firefox again => a dialog appears "Firefox cannot start. It is already running".
6) Use htop to see that there are multiple instances of Firefox already running.
Allow Firefox a reasoanable time to close down, a few minutes, Try step 6) and if there are one or more Firefox instances, or pugin-container instances running close them down. Now try Firefox it may start.
* see Official Documentation Firefox hangs or is not responding - How to fix
Last edited by John99 on Thu May 01, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:30.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/30.0
TheExplorer

Post by TheExplorer »

What makes you think this is a NoScript issue ?
The browser hangs after installing NoScript. Please read carefully.
So if it is a new install with no preexisting profile Firerfox will not have NoScript installed.
Read again carefully:

- Start Firefox
- Install NoScript
- It asks to restart. Restart browser
- Close Firefox and try to launch it again

Just distinct and readable steps to reproduce the issue. At least it happens on my Linux box. Are you a developer or are you trying to play with my words?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I also suspect a Firefox issue. Looks to me like NoScript is exposing the problem rather than causing it.
Does it happen with other extensions (that require a browser restart) also?
What if you extract Firefox into your home directory instead, so that you would run ~/firefox/firefox to start it?

You might want to consider filing a bug on Mozilla's bug tracker.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0 SeaMonkey/2.29a1
TheExplorer

Post by TheExplorer »

Thank you.
I wasn't sure whether it's a Firefox issue or NoScript actually. I've posted it to find others who also face this problem.
I will try to post a bug report to Mozilla now though I've never done it before :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
John99

Post by John99 »

I run NS on Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 64bit) and have recently tried NS on Fx10,17,24-31 without issues.

I am not a developer. I am one of the moderators on the official Mozilla Fx support forum, but this week only, we do have developers available dealing specifically with Fx29 problems on the forum.

Fx will normaly try to use any existing profile. The sort of messages you are getting tend to indicate a problem on shutting down Fx. If NS fails to work on Linux for most people we would know about it. There are about 2 million users downloaded NS from the Mozilla hosted addons site, and yes Linux is not the most popular OS but NS is one of the top addons for popularity.

I suggest you post a question on the Firefox support forum and follow the prompts to include full troubleshooting information. If you do post within the next day or two on the Fx forum pm me whilst you are logged on in that forum & I will try to ensure the issue is resolved.

Presumably Fx29 is installed and working ordinarily on your machine and you will have a working profile. If so the best course of action in troubleshooting may be to create a new additional test profile (Do not delete or rename FX profiles once created unless you fully understand them or you could lose information). You should then be able to attempt to install NS in that profile. But remember to make sure you do not have multiple Firefox processes open.
A potentially usefull course of action designed for simplicity & ease of use is the Firefox reset see Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems )

It is BTW possible to install and run multiple instances or even multiple versions of Firerfox simultaneously fairly easily. Not something the average Fx user is likely to do, but handy sometimesfor troubleshooting, but not the sort of thng to discuss on a NS forum. I mention the multiple Fx installs options as possibly you are continuing to run only Fx 28 at present if Fx 29 is failing to start with NS installed so the way forward may be to install Fx28 and Fx29.

Presumably in addition to Mozilla Fireox you also have iceweasel is that working ok with NS.
John99

Post by John99 »

barbaz wrote:I also suspect a Firefox issue. Looks to me like NoScript is exposing the problem rather than causing it.
Does it happen with other extensions (that require a browser restart) also?
What if you extract Firefox into your home directory instead, so that you would run ~/firefox/firefox to start it?

You might want to consider filing a bug on Mozilla's bug tracker.
Are you finding a similar problem ? and if so can you reproduce it ?
TheExplorer wrote:Thank you.
I wasn't sure whether it's a Firefox issue or NoScript actually. I've posted it to find others who also face this problem.
I will try to post a bug report to Mozilla now though I've never done it before :)
You would do probaby do better posting on the forum normally rather than the bug tracker. The bug tracker is not very user friendly ( example bug ) and is going to need good steps to reproduce that others can reproduce. Possibly this issue may be Debian specific for some reason. I have just tried installing an addon that needs restarting and it had no problem, but I am not on Debian. I tried this addon https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/big-buttons/ (That particular addon itself does not fully work with Fx29, I just tried something that would ask for a restart)
TheExplorer

Post by TheExplorer »

Done: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1004476

There is already a message about this issue on Mozilla Forums: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2825639

Thank you and sorry for posting about the Firefox regression.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

John99 wrote:Are you finding a similar problem ? and if so can you reproduce it ?
No, I was just offering suggestions based on what I know about Firefox and its quirks on Linux.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0 SeaMonkey/2.29a1
TheExplorer

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox 29 hangs after closing

Post by TheExplorer »

UPDATE

Ok, here is my investigation. It could be a real Firefox bug.

To all those who are affected please read this: http://discuss.howtogeek.com/t/firefox- ... date/15569

Quote:
"Seems the history, cache and other temporary files are locked when you exit so Firefox can't delete their contents and stays running in background.
The only viable solution was to be to leave 'Firefox will Remember history' alone then manually delete contents when necessary using History > Clear Recent History in the Menu Bar".

I'm marking the thread as solved.

Thank you, Giorgio, for your great work and sorry again if it's not the right place to post Firefox regressions.