Noscript for Google Chrome?

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: Noscript for Google Chrome?

Post by Thrawn »

I'm curious about how you feel that security and privacy addons have impacted speed/stability, because they'll generally block a lot of trash that would otherwise slow down all your page loads and potentially crash your browser.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/22.0
w33d3r

Post by w33d3r »

Thrawn wrote:I'm curious about how you feel that security and privacy addons have impacted speed/stability, because they'll generally block a lot of trash that would otherwise slow down all your page loads and potentially crash your browser.
To be honest it has been a long while since I tried FireFox - For instance the memory leak problems which were prevalent last time I was using it I believe are now fixed ..

But I now trust Dragon to go anywhere on the web, with all the advanced settings content options set at block ( Dragon even still allows you to easily disable javascript unlike firefox recently which has lost its check box, so users have to dig into the multitude of About:Config settings - For those that know anyway, everyone else will be clueless )

Combine all those native chrome browser settings with the aforementioned sandboxed processes, a checkbox to drop the referrer header for all sites, enable malware domain filtering ( comodo secure DNS ) .. and only allow / whitelist parts of what you block ( Local Data / Third party cookies and Data / Images / Javascript / Handlers / Plugins ( Click to Play ) / Pop-ups / Location / Notifications / Mouse / Microphone / Web Cam / UnSandboxed Plugins ) - on a per site basis ..

= Dragon is pretty good on a privacy and security front without any plugins.

When I last used FireFox, I was of the same opinion as GµårÐïåñ ..
GµårÐïåñ wrote:I hate to say this but despite its MANY shortcomings, its faster, leaner, more stable frankly, like Firefox USED to be. Now its become a bloated, slow and unstable hack job. I have said this for a long time, Firefox went from promising to disappointing and the rapid versioning says it all. Just my two cents, sorry OP, didn't mean to intrude on your reply.
You would imagine that adding Privacy plugins, and taming the amount of crap connections any particular web page would try to feed you, would actually improve the browsers performance

But in my experience that was not the result. I found the more plugins you used to combat the many headed marketing and advertising beast, the more Firefox became sluggish / clunky.

Typically I would have been using <hmm goes off for a bit of memory trawling> ..

NoScript - Without doubt will use it again when its ready for Chrome ( Even though I block and whitelist javascript, it will still be very useful on some of the sites I whitelist )
AdBlockPlus - Though no need for this plugin if you use MVPS Hosts file instead ( Which I do for Chrome )
BetterPrivacy
Taco
Ghostery
FlagFox
RequestPolicy

And the feel of browsing with that lot installed in FireFox was horrendous.

Maybe at the time, some of them were badly programmed, a rogue scripting bug, my ISP introducing mechanisms which when combined with all the above made the experience less than savoury .. I dont know for sure

What I do know now is Dragon ( and its advanced setting ) + MVPS Hosts + PrivDog ( mentioned elsewhere ) is lightning fast compared with the FireFox of old even without the above plugins installed. FireFox has maybe come along since ( certainly with the memory leak which may have contributed to my negative experience of FF ) ..

.. But it does not have Sandboxed Processes like Chrome variations do. And the only thing I would really like back to include in my current setup is NoScript ( and not just a pretender to the throne for chrome ).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/27.2.0.0 Safari/537.36
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Yeap, you have listed pretty much everything I normally have on my Fx profile. I still use it as a hazard of doing support and well the fact that many use it and i need to be able to help them with it as a programmer and just all around IT guy for over 20 years. I personally use Dragon for just about everything and have for a LONG time and in fact I brought it up and told people on the forum about it too but didn't push it as it is still a "chromish" based browser based on Chromium and well that seems to be taboo to say by anyone using Fx.

I run the same GM script on Fx and Dragon, Fx hangs and chokes while running it shooting the CPU and memory through the roof while Dragon runs it with lighting speed, no lags whatsoever and the CPU and memory hardly break a sweat. In fact I write my GM in Fx, test it, get it working and then drop it into Dragon which converts it into a functional extension and use it there, so much faster and more efficient. Although PrivDog is pretty good, it has a very limited GUI for configurations, hoping Comodo improves it but its not a bad start. Right now its all or nothing like Ghostery used to be, but then again Ghostery for Chrome is pretty much all or nothing too at the moment, they haven't introduced the granular control that is in Fx version yet. I use Hellboy Firewall which is very fast, very lean and very efficient in removing crap than the Adblock for Chrome which slows down performance using the lists. So I use the custom filters of my own in it, and certain specialty lists but let Hellboy handle my easy list type rules, he uses 5 rules to consolidate the ENTIRE easy list, awesome and much faster, although very occasionally it misses some stuff, nothing spectacular though, can be ignored. I have Flag for Chrome too which is pretty much as good as Flagfox. I have minimize chrome to tray which is pretty sweet and simple, but I am thinking of just letting my desktop 4t Tray Minimizer handle those, not sure yet. And that's it, pretty much have full access to the web, JS and Flash and all without a single problem. I have not encountered a single breach and just for anal retentive good measure, I run it in Sandboxie too. With Fx, I have to install a crap load of extensions to get the same benefit. Its ridiculous and very clunky and slow as you said.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/22.0
wiar

Post by wiar »

Will NoScript for Chrome come or not??
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/27.0.1453.116 Safari/537.36
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

wiar wrote:Will NoScript for Chrome come or not??
At last call, Giorgio was trying to see if the newly added and frankly insufficient in scope API will possibly give us what we need to get an Alpha version going for testing purposes. But between code changes, 0-day security patches, keeping up with updating NS, FG and family life, it has been difficult to find time to go full speed. Be patient and get a great product because we are not putting out anything that is incomplete, half-assed, insufficiently good to be called NoScript just to appease the needs of the public to have something. We don't want a false sense of security, a real one or nothing.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/22.0
heavyweight

Post by heavyweight »

hey it's 2013 know any info on if this is ever going to come to light or see a day when it will come to chrome,beings chrome they say know is more popular then firefox ever was.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/29.0.1547.62 Safari/537.36
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

The popularity of browsers depends on which analytics firm you talk to, although Chrome is undoubtedly quite popular.

However, the question is not about how desirable NoScript for Chrome is; it's about how practical it is.

If you'd like to compare the Chrome APIs to the current NoScript code, and send Giorgio a detailed analysis of how he could port it, I'm sure he'd welcome your help. Otherwise, we'll have to wait until he finds the time. He's been travelling quite a bit lately.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/23.0
Hungry Man

Post by Hungry Man »

Has there been any progress on the APIs or are they still WontFix?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1626.0 Safari/537.36
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Still "WONTFIX UNTIL POSSIBLE", i.e. highly desirable but wasted effort so far.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/23.0
w33d3r

Post by w33d3r »

Giorgio Maone wrote:Still "WONTFIX UNTIL POSSIBLE", i.e. highly desirable but wasted effort so far.
When it does become viable - Try it out in this fork https://www.whitehatsec.com/aviator/

Looks very nice :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) WhiteHat Aviator/32.0.1700.72 Chrome/32.0.1700.72 Safari/537.36
Hecuba's daughter

Post by Hecuba's daughter »

nvm
Last edited by Hecuba's daughter on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
Tosh

Post by Tosh »

Hi all. Sorry if I bring back this topic but it was the only one I found. So I would like to know the status. I didn't read all 10 pages af the last years since they are from 2009 till now.

NoScript is almsot everything that prevents me from switching from FireFox to Chrome. Chrome seems to be faster and better than FireFox. Will NoScript come to Google Chrome?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

At the moment there is no plan to bring NoScript to Chrome due to too many restrictions and lack of satisfaction in the quality of the resulting product.

However, as a lifelong user of NoScript, I would suggest you try https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard which is head and shoulder above the others such as NotScript and so on. I strongly recommend it if you want to use Chrome and have NS functionality. I am active contributor to this project and have been with it since the day the first alpha was released, so I can vouch for its quality. Its being actively developed and patches, fixes and updated functionality is added quite often. Keep in mind that there is rapid changes which is the nature of a maturing product, so be aware that it will morph as you go along, so you might have a small learning curve to keep up. The dev page I have linked will give you a good amount of overview, so please read it and the links to where to acquire the installers in the Chrome Webstore are provided as well.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1964.4 Safari/537.36
Tosh

Post by Tosh »

Thanks. Sad news. Users are lazy and so am I. All I need is an addon. I may check it when firefox keeps cloning the chrome brower I have to switch to google chrome.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tosh, you misunderstood. It IS an extension and you can download it here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... hcmnjhgaag as is found on the first page of the link I gave you. The dev page is for your to obtain documentation and get an overview, much like the NoScript.net page.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1964.4 Safari/537.36